View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Contributor

Default Helix and the cold

Hey guys, still proudly running out Helix over here in update NY. Just got some snow yesterday, and having some good fun out there. It runs great for the most part, but I'm still trying to tweak the idle, and it's having a strange issue running cold.

When it's cold, it doesn't seem to like to run in the lower RPM range, but kicks in once it gets up to, say, 20-25mph. Riding it slow makes it miss a lot. Once it's running for a few minutes, though, it doesn't miss a beat. There's some backfiring, but probably due to the crappy muffler decaying on the inside.

As for the idle, it seems to be all over the place. I'm wondering if having the idle screw mixture on the side of the carb too rich would do this? I had it tweaked in the summer so that where it is now gives the highest RPM (then, of course, adjusting the idle speed screw/throttle stop). Now, it seems that it struggles to idle cold, then picks up, sometimes as high as needing to shut it off to switch gears. Sometimes it's quite high when coming to a stop, other times it isn't so bad (sometimes blipping the throttle calms it down a bit).

Might it be a bad choke by chance?

Hope everyone's had a great Thanksgiving holiday, and you're all having fun riding out there!