View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Semi independent rear end

Hello everyone, I recently bought a hammerhead gts to ride around with my son, he is 3, I did a few performance mods already, uni intake, exhaust, adjustable cdi, coil, plug and main jet, it ran great, but one one occasion I took my wife and son for a small ride out in this trail close to home where many jeeps and atvs go, it was great until I encountered some mud (with me in it only it was no problem)'with my wife and son it bogged down (I am 205lbs, wife is 125lbs and son is 32lbs) and wouldn't want to go, so I reversed and went on some dry stuff, I installed a winch on the front and went by myself to see what it could do, it's ok with me only but on some mud trails I noticed that it felt like a tank, the rear and chassis stays like one unit and the front suspension is doing all the work, it feels somewhat like a boat. I also noticed in the rear there is a support bar under the sprockets that limits your ground clearence to about 5.5 inches... I saw in a forum this guy said to just take it off after the sproket because over time it will get hit by rocks and actually bend in pulling the rear arms outers in and causing unwanted force on the bearings, I felt that in the mud that bar dug in and wanted to ankor the buggy in place, also the brake caliper was down under, bad design... I didn't want to just hack it off as I believe it's there for a reason besides holding the brake caliper, I don't know how to weld so was going to have aguy do it ($30 bucks a weld!) no thanks so I decided to buy a Lincoln century 88 and through youtube videos taught myself. Welder sucked! Splatter everywhere! What a mess!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.1 KB, 26 views)