Thread: Valve head
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Higher RPM springs are only needed if you are building a full out drag engine. The stainless valves are lighter, and generally flow better, but stainless is a bit on the soft side compared to the hardened valve seats, so you might need to adjust your valves a little more often than before as they settle in.
I agree 100%. I do not run the stainless springs for they won't last as long, I still run steel. The only time you will need the HD valve springs is when you have a monster cam and you make power above 8000rpm. It amazes me how many advertise the HD springs as a necessity. Going with too heavy of a spring will ruin a head and naturally to light of a spring will ruin an engine. All these cams available for our buggies will work off the stock springs since they are considered mild cams. High lift cams with long duration and steep ramps will require the heavier springs. Most problems I have encountered out of stock springs occur when someone uses the no rev limit CDI thus over revving the engine to the extent of causing valve float. The stock CDI revs out at 7500-78-- rpm, most think by going with a no rev cdi they will increase the power or speed. The fact is even with a moderately built performance engine your power curve will not exceed 7800 rpm. Anything over that just waists the engine over time.