View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Since I had it in the shop I decided to inspect it a little closer. As it turns out a combination of things contributed to the steering failure. Couple a years ago a newby hit a tree with the drivers front A-arm/wheel but it didn't appear there was any major damage- after removing the A-arms the drivers side arms were bent at the connection plate (had to force/hammer it off), the 1/2" heims & 3/8" machine bolts were bent even though the heim was fully threaded in. I also didn't realize how heavy the spindle and hubs were that I replaced 8 years ago (changed them out with trailer hubs w/matching tapered spindles). Have a feeling that extra weight may have contributed to some of the damage. I went out to the junk pile and found some golf cart spindles and hubs which are much lighter but just as heavy-duty. I'm now making new A-arms to work with the golf cart hubs. I have to say that the heim/A-arm mod. did last awhile-almost 8 years!! & my daughter,wife and guests aren't exactly gentle on the buggy. I'll get some pics tomorrow for anyone that's interested in this conversion/modification as an alternative to the other mod,'s that have been done in the past by many of us.