View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Lurker

Default 130 miles in and sharp drop in performance

Buggy ran great for first 130 miles, has recently had a sharp loss in power. From top speeds in high 30's to now not breaking 18-20mph. This change happened in the middle of a tank of gas.

Everything is stock.

Cart has never sat for more than a couple days without being driven.

I drained and tried a new source of gas as well. All fuel has been non-ethanol.

Felt like the main jet of the carb was possibly clogged, Carb bowl is sealed and unable to be taken apart to clean without drilling out the metal plugs. So I ordered a brand new carb, existing carb says pd24j on it, so I ordered a replacement and once reinstalled, no change.

Therefore I am unsure of the issue, but do not feel it is carb or gas related. I don't think I should need a bigger main jet, since it was fine until all of a sudden, mid ride.

I checked the spark plug and it is a nice tan color. So I feel the air/fuel ratio should be good.

Buggy idles fine and forever, doesn't seem to search.

The engine revs fine in neutral, but when more than 50% throttle is given in forward or reverse it sputters and bogs down but never actually dies, just is very weak.

I put the rear up on jack stands and can give full throttle with no sign of weakness at full throttle in forward and reverse.

I am not sure what else could be wrong or what to troubleshoot next.

It feels to me like it can't get into a higher gear.

Here is a video.

Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/HfpvH0py-BE