View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Lurker

Default t-motorsports 150gy6 on '06 Carter Talon

I too was a bit skeptical when I saw the 150 GY6 on Amazon for $280. I saw the seller was "T-motorsports". Went to their website and it was listed for $242 + CA tax + $69 shipping. I was able to get it for $266 OTD. Had the wife pick it up in Pomona in her Prius for probably $10 in gas, since we live in Santa Clarita. My Carter Brothers 150 Talon has been out of commission for about 3 years since it lost all power and wouldnt even start. I was gonna sell it for $300, but figured I'll drop a few hundred back into it (about $400 after replacing parts) and see what happens. It runs excellent. Like new. Now, I don't know how many hours I will get out of it, but it was an exact match to the original motor. I did have to grind a bit of the casing near the rear to get the original rear mount/chain tensioner to work, but that only took all of 20 minutes.
I had the same stupid single plug CDI that came with it. I ordered a new one online from "motopartsmax.com". I went off of what the pics looked like and ordered the one that looked identical to my original (2-plug, 5-wire). it showed up and the connectors fit, but overall it was a bit smaller than the original. I drove around the block a few times, and it stalled out, and wouldn't start again unless I pumped thhe gas pedal a bit. I saw the new CDI housing was starting to bubble/deform from getting so hot. I put my old one back on and it runs and idles great now. There were some mis-matched wire colors as well, but luckily I had the original owner's manual, which had the wiring diagram. I'm no electrician, but matched up the correct wires, and just as a precaution, replaced the resistor, voltage regulator, and fuel cock before I tried to start it.
The voltage regulator was another issue. I'm using the new one I ordered, even though it was smaller in size. Not sure what can happen there. It's running fine, but I haven't taken it out on a long run yet. I ordered one that is identical to the original and will end up using that when it comes in. Is there a way to determine if I have an AC or DC CDI? There are 2 wires from the one plug, and 3 wires from the other.