View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Contributor

Default Modifying CVT belt cover

Yesterday my son and his buddy took the HH to a nearby field and stretched its legs. I was sitting in my Baja on a nearby hill to keep an eye on them. All of a sudden, they stopped, got out and looked at the engine. So I drove down to them to investigate. Turns out they didn't have any drive in forward or reverse. I always carry a tow rope, so I towed them home. 1st thought was CVT belt, so I grabbed a flashlight and looked in a vent hole - sure enough, belt cords. I drive this buggy fairly long distances in the SoCal desert, so I looked at what would be the minimum tools needed to swap the belt in the field. I decided that it would be a royal pain in the rear.

So I came up with an Idea, What if I pull the cover off, and use a metal bandsaw to cut the cover into two pieces. Where I would cut it would be vertically through the hole that was originally for the kick starter. Then I would have a front and rear halves, and wouldn't have to worry about pulling the exhaust off . We never go through water, and there would only be a small slit between the two pieces. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.