View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Contributor

The P engines have a different head with slightly different spacing on things compared to a normal gy6. The cam is raised and the exhaust runner is longer. Due to the design the P engine already has a bit more HP and torque than a normal one. (1-2 horses, it's not ground breaking).

It's been awhile but if I remember right an normal A12 cam will bind the valve springs on a P head. A normal exhaust won't fit without a bit of tweaking.

When I was reading up I recall seeing on the scooter forums about a seller on ebay that ran a shop in taiwan that could get and ship P engine parts to the US.

I had a P engine but it seemed hopping it up was gonna be too much headache so I swapped to a regular gy6. Lucked out finding a short case parts scooter the engine was pretty good they were just robbing everything easy to take off of it.

I will tell you I learned on v8s longer runner intake manifolds generally make more torque in a lower powerband. With that in mind I put a spacer on my gy6 and it did make it torquier lower in the power band without a cam. That with a 28mm carb, free flowing exhaust, unifilter, and 12 gram sliders I was running 23 inch tires on all 4 corners and still bouncing off 40mph on a good straight stretch and it done just fine climbing hills and jumping over logs in the woods. I kept up with dad on a 2wd 250 honda recon with 26 inch tires everywhere but deep mud. The A12 cam dropped my top speed down to 37. About the only real noticeable difference is it will now spin the tires at a dead stop on gravel where it did just squat down and run. I was expecting more and IMHO rather disappointed in no more gain the way guys praise the A12.

The muffler idea is a good one. When I built mine I made it way too loud to hunt off of, lol. I welded an 3/4 inch rigid electrical connector to the end of it and screw on a lawnmower hotdog muffler when I want it sneaky. When we mud ride I can open it up. I will warn ya just that little bit does require me to rejet the carb. I just drop down or go up one size, pretty easy. Really didn't notice any major power drop with a full 1 inch exhaust with the last bit 3/4.

Last edited by neo71665; 05-30-2018 at 06:59 PM.