Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Let us know how the heims out back fare. I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of 3/4" chromo heims and extending the mounts off the frame for an interference issue. I am not concerned with the joint itself, but the stud attaching it to the swing arm bung. I figure with 3/4", even at grade 5, it should be pretty stout.
I really don't think you will have any worries. I had a stress analyses done before I did the swing arm heim thing. Bottom line.. your gonna bend the swing arm or chassis before there's any sheer problem with the stud. There's no real lateral force applied. All lateral force translates into a push pull motion.
What I DIDN'T do is use bungs! The bungs are the weak link. The heims are threaded into solid steel blocks, same dimension as the inner size as the frame rails. The ends of the frame rails were opened up as so these pieces would slide in and then welded in place. my intent was to keep the wheelbase and pivot point original. The key is to keep the heim completely threaded in for maximum support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 147.jpg (95.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 149.jpg (84.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 158.jpg (84.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 155.jpg (95.0 KB, 57 views)