View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 08:17 PM
Lurker

Default oil change failure

I picked up an american sportsworks 7150 carbide buggy last weekend, and my kids have been excited to run it, but it had been sitting in a barn for 2 years. When I picked it up the owners kids were racing it around, so I knew it ran.

I took it home and got new oil, ordered a new oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter for it, drained the gas, and put new gas in it, started up with hesitation (more on that later), but I got to bomb around in it.

Today was the day for the oil change, and i drained the oil (from the rear there is a bolt closest to the rear, and one in front of it, I opened the one in front of it, and let the oil drain out. v e r y s l o w..

(im wondering if that was the gear oil now that i think about how slow it came out)

I replaced the oil filter as well, and replaced the bolt after I let it drain for an hour (Did some yard clean up while this was taking place).

I measured out 30oz of new oil (10w40) and slowly poured it in, it was flowing out the neck and was mixing with the darker older oil so I opened up the drain plug again.. but nothing came out.

I let it drain out the dipstick and cleaned around the plug hole to see if there was a blockage, but couldnt feel anything there.

can anyone shed some light on what I did wrong?

Ok, first I jumped on to a different thread so Im moving this.

it seemed the my instructions that i started with were wrong, I didnt drain the engine oil but the gear oil. Ive since opened up the proper oil plug and its draining now. Ill finish that in the morning.

Im thinking that I drained the gear oil. Not 100% sure, but welcome any input on how to fill it back up.