View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Power User

Default Drive plate/cover interference ????

And the fun begins ...
At this point I'm not going to make a judgement on what I bought ...yet, but a running GY6 this isn't. The flywheel looking drive plate in the transmission is grinding against the cover. It's missing one vane, no sign of it inside, but it has obviously been apart before. lots of filings from the cover and edges of the vanes. Given this is a small valve head engine, I don't think i'm going to put much effort into it. Obviously something isn't right. Doesn't appear to be a bent crank. I pulled the plug and the inside of the pulley stays even with the side of the engine as i turn it. maybe the outer portion is bent. The yerf manual shows a non-vaned plate, could this be an aftermarket piece that doesn't fit or is it just bent??

Pics show the drive, the cover and the driven/clutch, which is also heavily blued--normal--coated??? or is this from running waaaayy too hot?

The second GY6--the one for $90 at least is a 4-bolt valve cover type. It has a 6 pole stator and I'm thinking i'm better off swapping the stators and installing this engine in the Yerf. Looks like it's time to buy a gy6 flywheel puller. Like everyone else, i just learned that a normal one just doesn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gy61.jpg (29.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg gy62.jpg (34.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg gy63.jpg (26.7 KB, 7 views)