View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Check battery voltage with battery disconnected, it should be no less then 12.7V. Connect the battery and check the voltage again. If voltage drops more than .2V then you have a draw on the system. If your voltage is 12.5 or more, start engine and checking at the battery bring up the RPM's to about 1800 or until clutch starts to grab. You should read 13.8 volts or more depending on the state of battery charge. The small battery will not cause it not to charge if it is indeed a 12V battery and not a 6V. You may want to check that it is a 12V battery. Also I have seen it many times before where the battery polarity was backwards, this will fry the stator if done.
Check it in the manor I have told you and post your results then we can go from there.

TOM
Disconnected the battery from the system. Checked voltage and got 12.78 Volts. Re-connected battery and checked voltage again. Voltage held steady at 12.78 Volts. Started engine, took another reading from the battery with the engine rpm right at clutch engagement and got a reading of 14.3 to 14.35 Volts. All seems normal except where the red lead comes out of the regulator and ties to the other hot leads, I get 4.5 volts. When i disconnect everything from there except for the regulator and stator wires, it moves to 5.5 volts. Double checked battery size (12V 4AH) and made sure polarity was correct.
Any more input would be greatly appreciated.