View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Power User

You had to mention headers ---hooked my passenger collector flange (3-1/2 in) on a stormwater grate in a parking lot last month and am going to have to pull the header and exhaust system to fix the bend in the flanges. Pretty sure it bent the pipes as the whole system is now hitting the floorpan under the passenger seat ..... been avoiding that repair like the plague lol. Meantime, cracked the frame on the buggy at the rear tube where the engine mount plate meets it, so it's time for some repair and strengthening work. I'll take the buggy work any day ))))).
I've been looking at bmi's e-bay listings of used front ends-- I decided to fab my own. I want longer arms than stock with stronger tubing, as the stockers on mine came with kinks in them and for what i plan, i don't think they'll last. The $100 ones are also the unequal length jobs .... I "lucked" into a good parts score yesterday while cleaning the work shed. I've got a pair of spindle hubs from my wing mowers that lunched their bearings. Cast iron brutes. Threaded bolt pattern in them matches my golf cart rims perfectly, and the threading matches my John Deere front lug bolts, so rims and hubs are "done". The blade spindles are 1-inch diameter, with threaded ends and the blade "lock plate" on the other end matches the 2-in. 1/4 wall thickness square steel tubing I have. So that gives me axles and spindle material--gonna be heavier than I prefer, but i think that will reduce the wheel jounce and smooth out the ride over rough terrain. Next item on the hit list is designing the mounting box. Still debating a "plate" box design versus a cube of 1-in stock. Also dismantled a couple golf club racks for fenders, you guys will dig them, real nice looking. I've got a picture fest coming in the next week or two ....

Last edited by x-bird; 10-17-2011 at 07:27 AM.