View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Power User

Rainy day today, (i run an outdoor rec biz, so no worky today) spent most of last night reassembling (how many times can i put the damn axle in the wrong way or pinch the chain .... LOL) the rear end and putting the engine/convertor back on. But can I leave well enough alone? So I started with a gasket match on the intake ... followed by a port job on the carb side of the intake pipe ... pretty ugly machine tool meeting point at the short turn, so i smoothed that out nice. i'll post pics in awhile ... Since the muffler had no gasket --- did it ever have one? and showed a lot of carbon outside its mounting point, i made a header tube. With all that done, I mounted the rear frame and fired it up with the tires in the air. fired right up, but was running around 1/2 throttle definitely seems like a lot more "there" when revved --or it may just be the sound from the stub tube header. i think i had the short link between the gov arm and throttle blade plate in the wrong hole, so i moved that, idle is a bit too low and the throttle doesn't seem to do anything. I'm wondering if porting it hasn't opened up the flow beyond its jetting ... taking a break, soaked from messing with the linkages/springs. Would love to run it today in the slop, but i'm waiting on a brake band, had metal on metal going on under there ....