View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Power User

My "woods" area (about 1/3 of an acre) is actually nothing more than an appalachian ridge outcropping with trees on it. We found that out the other day with a backhoe. it's a 20-foot high pimple in the middle of what was once mostly farmland. kept telling my dad it was natural rock, but he was led to believe that most of it was fill from the road being put in 60-70 years ago. It's 2-5 foot of limestone with granite bedrock underneath. the more i ride/rut it, the rougher and rockier it gets--not much topsoil on the rock.

Meantime, i'm still working on the 750, polished the crank and dremeled (roll sander) the case cover where it locked up on the journal. got everything cleaned up inside and finished cleaning one chamber. still have to do the other head and finish wire wheel (drill and dremel) cleaning the outside of the engine. I hate assembling dirty parts. Reattached and form-a-gasketed the two water pump covers to the main cover. With the cover back on, crank turns nicely. After that i just need head gaskets and an oil seal for the cover and I'll be ready to rig it for a test run. Anyone ever use copper "spray a gasket" on used gaskets? The head gaskets have a steel ring for the top of the bore that's fine, but they left some of the grey material on the block and heads. at $25 per gasket, i'm thinking about giving it a try. I use the stuff quite a bit and like it. It'
It's good for old exhaust manifolds that are pitted.

Last edited by x-bird; 11-07-2011 at 12:29 AM.