View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Power User

decided to refocus on the yerf and not spend another night scrubbing the kawasaki (damn thing is getting pretty shiny for a chunk of aluminum ...

So after thrashing the crap out of it --opened up another couple of turns in the woods and beating the hell out of myself in the process-- I decided to take the day off and do something about the fenders --- getting too much metal piling up in the the garage corners.

I've also been trying to get a good camera angle or mount. Using the cheap, low res helmet cam either gave me my feet and the ground right at the front tires, or an awesome view of the roll bar and not much else. I finally got it with a pile of memory foam mattress on the seat --the vid below is shot with the helmet cam. Battery in my JVC died after 5 seconds of runtime. Will shoot it again with that set on a wide angle view. Sound will be better quality too so mike, you can hear the not so clanky yerf. Squealing in the video is the brakes, the drum was pretty grooved when i put the new band on, need to smooth it down on the belt sander ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXtri3PE7mE

So back to not making money working and making fenders instead ...
After coming up with a really nicely over-thought and complicated flange, brackets, rods & frame assembly to mount them on I said what the heck am I doing, weld a couple tubes to it and be done with her!

So for your viewing pleasure, here's what you can do with some old Ping golf club racks ... The holes from the rack base portion on the rear fenders got double-stick taped then a piece of the mystery plastic riveted on the underside that extends the fender to cover the inner wheel area. Then some bungie at the edges to stop the plastic from slapping the metal. Front fenders are the top "PING" display plaque from the rack. Still have two more racks to do another full set like these.

Now i just have to be careful in the corners that have trees --i have a bad habit of using them to pivot the cart with inside rear tire on them .... I made sure not to weld all the way around on the tubes, i'd rather they tore off than bend the frame portions they're mounted to. And if you notice the front alignment "issue" don't worry the BFW will be oh so delicately straightening the spindles before the next ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear mounts.jpg (38.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg rear reverse.jpg (29.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg fronts.jpg (35.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg front view.jpg (29.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 3quarter view.jpg (33.4 KB, 103 views)