View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Power User

Larger kingpin, probably a .75 OD pin seeing as i have the appropriate 1" OD bronze bearings --- an employee ran my golf ball picker over with the pusher jeep a few years back and I don't throw anything away--the spindle tubes matching the bearings are coming from the remains of the picker arms too. I want bushings or bearing in the brackets for the kindpin, so i've gotta widen the bracket so I figure I might as well beef it up. This is a design using the originals, I could make extra spindles, but you'd have to modify the arm mounts.

Here's an easy game to play, here's and easy thing to say ...
turn your a-arms over, weld on new shock mounts and gain about an inch of clearance.
Sitting on the couch sketching spindle designs and checked the arms, it would work.

another easy gain is to make a new pair of plates for the inner end of the arms and have them mount in holes lower than the originals. Mine are so bashed in that i've gotta pull the arms, and take the torch to the plate to straighten them. Likewise at the rear, as i've hinted at before, mount a set of longer axle plates with the bearing cutout lower than original--would need braced a bit, but pretty simple and fast clearance gain.

For me all of these are zero-or 20 buck or less mods.

Last edited by x-bird; 11-11-2011 at 09:06 PM.