View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Power User

Spent a few hours last night experimenting. There's a few issues that weigh against doing a riser type spindle. Foremost is that the arrangement will change the directional forces going over bigger or steep faced bumps into the arm from mostly upwards to an up and rearwards direction, I can see twisting the leading bar of the control arm under and backwards. One way to get around this is to make the spindle with the axle center below and forward of the arm. Of course this leads to the need to create a very strong spindle structurally. And it also introduces the problem of twisting the arm in the opposite manner when compressing heavy hits. I'm mulling over giving the kingpin a couple degrees of negative castor, camber also needs to go the opposite way, as there is a couple degrees built in from the factory (it appears that way, but my bracket mounts aren't even positioned the same, one is about 1/8 off center--factory misalignment, so these may have been designed at 90 degrees with a few degrees of variation from sloppy jigging.)

I flipped one arm and left the other normal to compare and get an idea of what really needs done. the shock is going to have to be repositioned, it looks like the lower mount needs to go closer to the spindle and the upper mount dropped lower and outwards. Otherwise it looks like there will be way to much load going to near the center of the arm if the lower mount is moved inwards to make it work--that and the angle of the shock overall just looks too "tight" relative to the arc the arm makes. The flip actually changes the arm angle a lot.

Before I can do anything, i've gotta get my acetylene tank filled, so i can do some heat and bend work to make some parts. dead in the water without the tank. and my I-beam won't work as the insides of the flats are not parallel, forgot about that. (((