View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

The trick with any big bore kit is to get one with a steel sleeve and not the recycled cast iron. They are getting hard to come by. Most stuff today is made with recycled materials since China buy's up all the worlds scrap metal. Recycled metals aren't necessarily a bad thing if the minerals lost in smelting are replaced, but China does not do this. I bought some 2" steel tubing for my trailer project a few months back from Memphis steel. This stuff was horrible for when I used the chop saw to cut, one minute it cut like butter then halfway through the cut I had to apply weight for the wheel to cut it. It was also a bear to weld 3/16" thick tubing. It would start out good then all of a sudden you blow a hole through the tubing. Being I was building a bench I went ahead and used it. I just purchased some more to redo my side door and it was 3 times the cost but it was US steel. As far as shaving the piston, I would not suggest doing this to a Chinese cast piston cause they won't last especially if the cylinder is heated from detonation or overheating. It can be done but you have to have good metal to start with and preferably forged aluminum billet. I know people who do it but it is a crap shoot on weather it will last .