View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 AM

I have entertained this idea, and from what I can tell, the case half and output shaft would need to be changed over from the model it came with. The main thing that deters me, is there is literally one model that retains the chain drive with the external reverse, the rest are shaft drive. If you are cool with mounting the engine sideways, then you could make a hub for the output, and weld a sprocket to that. A few guys, including metalstudman1 did this.

If you go that route, I might suggest looking for a big red 250, they seem more plentiful, at least around here, and it has electric start and reverse. Also, a 200-250 fourtrax will have the same, AND a hi/low range. The ideal honda seems to be the trx 200sx, but they are hard to find, and anyone willing to part with them wants way too much. It has the 5 speed, internal reverse, and electric start, while retaining the auto clutch.

I have researched options for adding electric start, GOKI still makes a new kit for install, which requires minimal work, but runs in the $300 range new. Rarely they pop up on ebay used. The second option is switching the left case half and stator cover for the ATC 200m/es, but by that time, you might as well just buy the entire engine.

Add on reverse I have run the gambit on options, including swapping cases, adding polaris gearbox(most likely to do) and electric reverse.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'