View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 AM

The popular electric reverse is a starter motor and matching flywheel, the issue is the amperage and the physical size of the flywheel. I decided to forgo this route due to the size of the flywheel and the added rotating mass zapping hp from the engine. If you could find a starter and light weight flywheel from say, a lawnmower engine, then it would be a good compromise, but the smallest flexplate I have found is from a 1.6l miata, or 1.0l geo, and still over 12" in diameter. It doesn't seem like much, but it will be spinning near as fast as the axle, if not faster depending on the gearing. I worry about safety as well, something to consider if other riders will be around/riding with you.

The amperage draw can be offset with a bigger battery, but at the expense of added weight. Anyone who has owned a car, knows how fast a starter can poop out on you, and having that happen on the trail might strand you. On the plus side, if you get a starter form the major parts stores, you normally get a lifetime warranty on them.

There has not been a reliable sprag design found for this option, although some of us have considered a go kart type clutch for something like this.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'