View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Lurker

Hopefully in the next couple days I'll get the axle sprocket bored out and mounted. The pics are the originals and the new. The axle sprocket in the pic is a 40t. The 60t is on it's way. I'll set both up and see which one works better for where I ride.

The 60t came in today. Great googly moogly

With the original axle sprocket

With the top sprocket and lighter for scale

That sprocket is over 8lbs. I know it will get a little lighter after I bore it out for the hub but I might drill a few extra holes to lighten it up.

Picked up my bored and drilled sprockets today

Decided to start with the 40t on the axle. The 40t doesn't require any additional modifications to fit as it clears the engine and guard. If i am not happy with the performance I'll bite the bullet and mount the 60t.

Next I cut a groove on the shaft and installed a snap ring to keep the sprocket from working back towards the FNR box

Next I put a little heat on my hand filed top sprocket and put it in place.

Finally I cut another groove in the shaft for a second snap ring to lock the sprocket in place.

When I put the chain across both sprockets I discovered the snap rings are too high and the chain is riding up on them. Tomorrow I am going to grind them down to where they are just thick enough to keep the sprocket in place. After that I'll hook up the chain and should be ready for a test ride.
Got stir crazy and went back to the shed. Ground down the snap rings, cut and mounted the chain, put the shaft and secondary back on and fired it up.