View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 03:30 AM
Contributor

I hear ya NEO

As far as the wiring goes im doing a full rewire.
There will be none of the original factory wire when im done.

The only things I was using from the original harness were some of the connectors.

However the ones for the regulator and the CDI disintegrated after I got them soldered into the new wires.

I ordered new CDI and regulator connectors and everywhere else im swapping in brand new connectors because I don't want it to happen again.

It means going back and redoing some of the work I have already done but at least it will be done with all new stuff. Nothing from the old system is being reused now.

Also I am heat shrinking all soldered connections with good heat shrink.

I am using electrical tape in a couple of places but only to gather the wire together in a bundle not on any of the connections. once I get everything done it will all go inside good wire conduits for proper protection.

I just have a lot I want to do.
Some things are fairly cheap some are more costly.
Some wont take long to do others will take a while.

One rule that is part of my reality is that if it doesn't run and im not actively working on something that the wife can see as a reason for it not running then it gets dubbed a piece of junk that im never going to fix and she will hound me till I get rid of it.

Im planning to use it for scouting and hunting this fall so I really want it repainted before then. Looking at either an OBD green base or coyote tan base with camo.

It is for hunting and my daughter loves camo anyway

If I do the engine and get it running then she will want to know why im taking it all apart to paint.

If I get all the wiring done then I will just have to take it all off to sand and paint.

If I pull the engine now while im waiting to rebuild the engine and only have the back half of the wiring done then sanding and paint will be easier and since I have a sand blaster and paint sprayer she will see progress being made toward making it nice again.

I agree with you that it is best to focus on a specific project and get it completed.
That's how I usually approach things myself.

How ever on this project there is a lot that needs to be done and depending on the order I do them in I will either make more or less work for myself by doing them one at a time only.

I also have to contend with the fact that I do not have a garage or shop to work in and that I can only work on it on my weekends. I work 12 hour shifts and have a 3 hour round trip commute so I only have time to sleep between shifts.

I can put the motor in my shed and work on it when the wind, heat, or possibly the occasional rain prevent me from working on the sanding and paint.

When I cant work outside I can work in the house on stubbing out the electrical so that there is less work when I fit it to the buggy just trim to size and tie in.

I hate breaking the project up and having to bounce but given my options its the only way to keep progress being made.

Of course if the weather plays nice I can focus on the paint and get it all done. That will give it time to cure good while I do the motor and the rest of the rewire.

The main thing is to keep something happening. Even if it drives me nuts to do it that way.