View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
What about making some space for it at your pedals? With a cruiser motorcycle type shifter for your heel and toe. You could even have the peg for your foot to rest on/ brace it on with out accidentally shifting
As an avid rider, that was my first thought, but there isn't much room under the column and frame nose for the to and fro, and my cable isn't that long. It is actually about 2 inches too long for the engine I have and the placement on the R/H side of the seat.

Quote:
How about modifying your basic 150 forward / reverse buggy shifter. You could modify the separator notch to allow enough lever travel to shift gears and to control the lever travel. Also, if your cable end would not fit through the eyelet, you could put a slot in the eyelet like they do for a motorcycle clutch lever (see Pic)

Also, what are you going to do to keep the shift lever centered at the motor? I found this pick, in case you can use it.
That might work, except this buggy only went fwd, no reverse, no stock shifter

As for the centering of the shifter, it has quite the preload to keep the lever in place, plus I added heavier clutch springs, which made a difference, at least me hand shifting it. Keep in mind, these engines, like x and I are running, have the clutch built into the shifter mechanism. When you lift the lever, it actually engages the clutch a microsecond before moving the shift drum. It snaps back to its rest position, but I will put something in place to limit the throw on the shifter end.

@x-bird. I sort of follow your idea, but I was thinking of putting the pivot above the cable attachment point to keep the cable position low and near the floor pan. Its probly just me, but I want everything nice and clean looking, and that means wires, linkages, cables and hoses have to be low and tucked away almost out of sight. I went out and snapped a couple pics of the cable mounts and ends. I like the 2 plate idea with the shifter sandwiched between them, that also easily adds the option of setting stops on the front and back of the arc. Just need a way to make it lighter.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-10-06 21.29.22.jpg (90.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-10-06 21.30.18.jpg (89.5 KB, 18 views)

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'