View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Your ground is the issue and it's as important as the positive (hot) wire to make everything work correctly. To check a ground(any wire) is a simple ohm's check at both ends to see if you have continiuty ( basically any ohm setting should show a value).You need to have a ground from the battery to the frame or swingarm, cockpit frame to swingarm, swingarm to engine. Most of the time the ground wire should be a heavier gauge wire than the wiring harmess. When grounding the wires try to find a bolt that doesn't have a moveable part attached and has a constant metal path to the next electrical connection. I fastened my grounds with self drilling hex screws and make sure the connector has some bare metal to rest on.
Your lights will work at that voltage- IMO I'd just wire the lights straight to the battery with a fuse and be done with it, this way you get 12v constant and they won't dim at idle, your switch makes you the decision maker not the stator/voltage regulator!! Testing your switch is the same process as checking your ground, if the switch is questionable -replace it!! a bad switch could short out something more serious.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 02-09-2012 at 09:23 PM.