Thread: Carter SPX
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Lurker

Default Spx

I now have five Carter SPX karts and my GTO go kart. Three of the SPX karts are drivers thanks to parts from the other two SPX karts, and a stock of parts I removed from a couple similar Carter karts, before getting rid of them. Carter is out of business as far as I know, so parts are hard to come by. I purchased these Carter SPX karts, when I could find them cheap, and had the spare cash, which isn't often.

My kids are rough with these karts to say the least. The carnage started with small dents here and there from running into things, like the pool deck, and a fence. Then my boy took the front wheel off, spindle and all, after hitting a tree while paying attention to his sister on her kart, and not the tree in front of him. Then, of course there's the damage from my daughter driving through two picnic tables and the pond. Thank God I replaced the missing roll cage before this happened, and insist on seat belts and helmets. Her brother, not to be outdone, screwed up his whole front end alignment. You see, his kart stopped moving. A governor spring broke. I tried to do a field fix by stretching the spring, but this just caused the engine to race too much. I told him not to drive it, as the brakes would not hold with the engine running like that. Later, I found his kart with front end damage, and severe alignment issues. It was next to a dismantled seesaw that had a steel pipe base. He had no idea how the kart go there, why it was damaged, or why the seesaw had been disassembled. Hmmm. I waited a while to fix it. It took a hydraulic tool to straiten the front end, most of the day, and several parts from the parts kart to realize the bracket that held the front spindle was slightly bent.

So I have two Carter SPX karts for parts, but now I'm tempted to get one back to rider condition by combining the two parts karts.