View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I spent a lengthy amount of time measuring & measuring &........ to find out that Yerfdog engineers did a pretty descent job getting the stock rack location and spindle tie-rod tabs heights correct for minimal bump-steer and almost dead-on Ackerman triangulation points-- That being said- When you have extended A-arms and elevated suspension!!!!, don't know if that was correct for a stock set-up. I moved the rack back up to the stock location & I mounted my 14"-16" shocks (Carrera Hyper coilover shocks off my "different type of buggy") to see if these will work well since I have several different springs to fine tune them- they also have 7" of travel. I'm picking up another set of 5/8" x 7" grade 8 bolts tomorrow to remake my spindles as it's too much cutting to try and re-use the ones I just made-trial &error!!!By using the clevis type end on the rack, it allows for alot more travel. The only thing Yerfdog could have done better would've been to angle the tie-rod tab the same as the A-arm angle.

FYI- The spacing on the spindle tabs for true Ackerman is 3-3/16" away from the center or ball joint holes, 90 degrees from the spindle bolt. We all know that having the tie-rods/steering arms parallel to the A-arms is key to keeping the tires parallel/vertical when moving thru it's travel when going straight (also minumizes bumpsteer in turns). I'm also going to measure the camber on full turn in relationship to the stock 9 degree angled bulkhead. I feel that it's too much leading angle as in my sprint cars I only used 6 degrees. More boring stuff yet to come.