View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM

Ok, back on the buggy idea search while I have some time between classes and projects. I have decided to go head with an IRS conversion to the Yerf Dog. In doing so, surfing CL turned up a few new engine ideas. So tomorrow I am going to pick up a running Katana 600 for the remainder of the build. The katana puts out about 80hp, and is air cooled, which makes it a pretty simple swap, since I was going to use and air cooled engine in the first place.

The only thing I am still up in the air about is the type of IRS I want to build. I have a pair of left over axles from the miata I just finished. I know they will need to be shortened, but should hold up pretty well. I thought of using the stock miata rear spindles along with a-arms to make it easier to match the hub and bearings to the axle stubs. Still on the fence with that idea due to the offset nature of the top and bottom mounts. Using the stock knuckles would allow the use of the stock miata calipers and rotors, provided I can use 14" wheels, which I also nabbed a set of stock alloys from the miata.

I could go with dual trailing arms, but they seem to get heavy once they are properly built. Not really an issue with the new powerplant, but still a little on the tricky side to get braced properly and still leaves the axle a little under protected for my taste.

Jigs can be made for the a-arms, not a problem. A notcher will be either made or purchased before I get started. What I do need, is input on building the spool and flanges for the axles to bolt to. I was thinking of using a shortened 1" axle and pillow blocks.

I know, I have a problem, but this is too dang fun!

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'