View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM

I know the trailing arm IRS affords a lot more articulation, but here in the south, we ain't gots much hills an' rocks. lol. Someone else mentioned it before I could on the rockhound, but the top heavy-ness of it makes me uneasy of having an 80hp engine capable of more than 60mph in a 1k lb frame. The trailing arms would also afford a more straight forward approach for shock angle as well, as it basically the same as a full swing arm as far as pivot points. The '3 chain' set up I just don't like. I don't like the noise of chains, I don't like the mass and weight of chains, I don't like the maintenance and constant adjusting of chains, and also trying to design the pivot point of the arms inline with a large jackshaft under my keister also makes me uneasy. That being said, a single chain is much more do-able for me, as a tensioner can be easily made, or simply slotting the pillow block mounts for adjustments.

I am actually looking at grabbing a set of plans for the badlands st2 frame, and grafting the rear section to the frame of the Yerf. The plans are reasonable for all the measurements and planning all sorted out, and you pretty much cut and assemble.

I would like to go with something cheap and stout, like cobalt hubs, that are also easy to mount, but I need to get into spline counting and such, and spending time at the parts store down the road matching something up. I may try to off load the miata axles and recoup some funds for a set of GM matching hubs and axles to eliminate that issue. Did some checking on using VW axles, and was not expecting that sort of price tag.

Honestly, I like the trialing arm/CV axle set up, but the axle is just so exposed. I'm not sure I could drive it like it should be driven worrying about everything I drive over getting launched into the boots. At least with the a-arms, some sheet metal can be tacked on for protection.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'