View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Contributor

Buggy hasn't moved since the crash. Hopefully I'll at least get it mobile in the next week.

I caught heck getting the sheared rod end out the bung on the upper control arm. I welded a 1/2" nut onto the protruding thread to aid in removal. My 200ft*lb cordless impact wrench that wouldn't budge it. It took a few minutes for my 1200ft*lb pneumatic impact to get it out. Every 15 seconds or go I would stop because it would start smoking the oil off..

I'm really not sure why that happened. The threads look great up until the area that was protruding past the bung when it was screwed all the way in. I ordered new bungs just to be sure. I have LH 1/2-20 tap so I may just chase the non-existent threads so I can at least move the buggy. It will take a lot of time to remove the existing bung for replacing.

My spindle took a good bit of damage as well - 5/8" grade 8 axle bolt stood up fine but the steel plate was bent and torn.

Bending it back really didn't make sense so I cut it off and will weld a plate back on.