View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Bleeding Hydraulic Brakes

After fixing everything I could, and having a couple of successful trial runs on my used Kinroad (?) buggy, I found that the brakes needed some work. I had tested the brake system while the entire buggy was still on jackstands; front brakes worked but not effectively, and there was no braking at the rear caliper. It was the same when driving. The Emergency brake cable has been removed (frozen solid).

Before asking my helper to come out to the shop to help bleed the brakes, I checked the three bleed valves to see if they were frozen. I was able to open them all with no major effort needed, started at the right rear, then right front, then left front. Nothing happened at the first two, but I got a small squirt of brake fluid from the left front when I opened it. I guess I shouldn't have done that, probably introduced more air into the system.

Now, starting at the left front to bleed, no amount of pumping will produce any results. Also tried the right front, nothing coming out. The pedal goes completely forward and bottoms out - no pressure build up. I drew out as much of the old fluid as I could from the master cylinder and refilled with new fluid - still no results. Absolutely no braking effect when driving.

I don't see how I can remove all three calipers, the hoses and the master cylinder intact from the buggy to work on a bench. Rather than trying to find and buy an expensive pressure bleeding tool system, is there another procedure I should try?