View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Contributor

Default Burnt cdi, now buggy wont turn over

So i purchased a performance cdi fromScooter-Atvparts on ebay. It started right up and ran for a good 15 or so minutes. so i shut it down and let it sit while i worked on something else. Well i went back and tried to crank it, but it would not crank. I tried maybe 5 or more times and still nothing. So i threw my old cdi in and still nothing. Mind you i left the new cdi mounted in the strap, so i just plugged the sucker back up and tried it again. Nothing! So i let it sit and went on about my business. A little while later, i smell a burning smell coming from the vents, so i go down to the garage and see smoke in the garage. I thought it was the new heat pump/ac unit so i shut it off and opened the garage. Needless to say i go back to the buggy and come to find out that the cdi had burnt through the back casing. Not sure what burnt up in there or why. All i know now is even with my stock cdi in, i still cant get the buggy to fire off. I bought a new rectifier and solenoid and am waiting on them to arrive. The worst part about the cdi is that it is not like the one pictured. The one i received resembles more of an ac cdi and is pink. The one they advertise is orange and is wider, like the dc cdi. Well i contacted them and needless to say they act like its some other problem and not their cheap cdi. Last message i received from them was "What do you expect us to do about it?". So i responded back, "I dunno, maybe stand behind your product, replace it, and contact your chinese distributor about the piece of junk which does not match the photo you are using in your ad!". anyways, i feel like i just wasted $18 and then $15 more on the pieces i hope will fix it. Any thoughts what the burnt cdi might have damaged?

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust