View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

That thread had some good info in it but I don't totally agree with it entirely. First aluminum used in aircraft wheather on the skin or engine is a totally differant makeup. Aircraft grade aluminum is far more expensive than the everyday aluminum we would be using, and for good reason. A T6 hardened aluminum is of aircraft grade also used in the firearm industry. The stock heads on our buggies do not consist of T6 aircraft grade aluminum, however we do not reach heat ranges or pressures as with aircraft. Now on the market their are good cast heads and bad cast heads. This is due to the virgin materials and casting processes used in manufacturing. I currently have 2 aluminum heads off a 250 cc which I give to a neighbor to weld the intake ports for more ramp. One welded just fine however the other just destroyed it self when attempting to weld. The good head was off my Challenger the bad head was an aftermarket head picked up for trial and error. Needless to say I will not be purchasing any more of these which were tempting due to their price. I have seen some who had removed the plastic cowling off their GY6 engines. Air cooled engines are designed to run much hotter. If ridding my buggy hard I always let it idle for a short period before shutting down. And never ever wash a hot engine. This is true for air or water cooled. TOM