View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Heavy Contributor

There's a few things you can do help the cooling. Make sure the inlet does not have that factory filter in it If so, remove it and toss it. It does nothing but clog air flow. If your worried about stuff getting in through the open inlet, run a length of shop vac hose up high. The fins on the variator do a good job of pulling air through as long as there's no restrictions. The outlet is on the bottom rear, It looks similar to a P-trap cast in the case. The shape is intended to not allow trash and water to enter the case but by design is very restrictive. Take a grinder to it and open it up some. The idea is to get as much fresh air circulating as possible.
Best method I found was to score a howett case. Theses cases have a removable plastic emblem over the clutch. Remove the emblem and fashion a screen cover with a filter material behind. I got a substantial reduction of heat by doing this. Seeing how the air is constantly blowing out I've had no problem with trash getting or the filter clogging, only occasional mud splatter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yerf 08.jpg (93.4 KB, 10 views)