BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Siderbox pulling to the left

Oh wise ones I need ya'lls help again. My kart is pulling to the left when I let go of the steering wheel. I have tried to align it several times. On the rack and pinion I put the notches equal on both side and put the wheel straight but still pulles to the left. I have the new rebuilt spindle on it, Also the steering rods have the extenions on because of the longer shocks on the front. It steers fine and I love all my new front suspenion. Any ideals
Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

3 things can cause this.
1st- check to insure the front "box " ( where the a-arms attach) is square with the frame. if it is cocked to the left or twisted up the buggy will pull to the left and vise versa. 4 bolts hold it to the lower bracket loosen these bolts then set it square.
2nd- the steering rack sometimes get shifted on the box. one side will twist up because of the cheezey bolts that are too small. This will pull the steering to right or left depending on which way the steering rack goes. loosen these bolt and set the steering box square.
3rd- A little too much caster in the left front. Bent a-arm? a ball joint folding over. or the "box" not square with the frame .
It's not hard to get everything set up proper, but it's tough to keep it there . replacing all the cheap hardware with some good quality nuts and bolts helps alot.
Your gonna end up having to do this at some point so I included a few pics of adding a brace to the lower mount. Make sure the lower bracket is set square and straight with the frame before doing this. A 1x1 piece of angle welded underneath will give added strength and more welding surface. That lower bracket will come off! I have had the welds crack and this friend lost it all! lucky he was in soft dirt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TeamHog-LostFront-1-1.jpg (42.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (92.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (87.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Lite Contributor

Those are some good thing to check. Looking at the front it looks like it is a weak part of the kart and mine looks like it tilted up from the bottom, So to check if it square square it with the frame? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

The plate is supposed to be tilted upwards a few degrees
Old 08-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Lite Contributor

I guess mine is right. I thought about maybe getting se small turn buckles and attaching it to the bottom of that front bottom plate then over to the frame just to give it alittle more support. I like the ideal of the angle iron under the plate but I would have to take it to a welding shop so I was trying to come up with somekind of support until I take it apart this winter to paint it
Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Heavy Contributor

Metal's right, the plate is supposed to be tilted up, Aprox.. 9 degrees. By square I mean the plate is not pulled or bent to one side or the other. check closly for stress cracks at the weld points.
Another thing I forgot to mention... measure the distance from the front axles to the rear axles. Since the rear is a live axle and if that axle is not square with the frame it will push th buggy at a slight angle. the crab effect. the buggy won't track straight.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Lite Contributor

I'll check all that out. Yall have me alot to check to figure it out and once again thanks. I just don't any problem when I finish my front end upgrade. I do like to ride hard and with yall help my kart is getting there. When I took it out yesterday my new suspension was working great and I should get my 20x7x8 front tires on this weekend
Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Ha guys I might have figured out the reason. When I was checking things out I noticed that my left handed tie-rod tighten leaning towards the rear and the right was the other way and thinking about what yall had said I think that might be the reason. Everything else checked out right
Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Contributor

So the tilting up of the box adds 9 degrees of caster to the assembly? How long is the lower mount from frame to end of mount?