BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Contributor

Default Just picked up a Hammerhead, help with mods

Long time off-roader, first time mini buggy owner. Just picked up a Hammerhead Twister with a GY6 clone 150 for $400. It smokes pretty good, but after looking at the air cleaner tract, it probably ingested some dirt, so I know that I am looking at a minimum of rings and maybe a new piston as well. I am looking at setting it up as a desert play car that anyone can drive, so I am looking at more torque versus top end speed. The last thing I want is for someone to get it stuck in a hole and burning up the clutch. So after some lurking, I have some ideas what I want to do, but would like some opinions from the experts.
Since I will have the top end apart, I planned on doing a mild P&P to the head. I would like to mill the head down a little, but I haven’t seen any numbers for this. Any suggestions, I would still like to run pump gas. I also, am planning on using a Uni filter and will be making my exhaust from a spare Yamaha TTR125 pipe I have laying around. I was also planning on putting 11oz weights in the Variator. What else am I missing? I want this buggy to get me from point A to B, where there may be sand and hills along the way and be able to get me there and back. Also beside the obvious maintenance, what should I be looking to do (reverse box, CVT belt etc.)

Thanks in advance
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Lurker

definatly get after market front tie rod ends because the tend to brake easly!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

You may need to go lower then 11 gm on the weights, deffinately a yellow torque spring and red clutch springs. Your going to eat up a lot of HP in the sand. I would go with an A-12 cam which will give you more low end power, the yellow torque spring along with the lighter rollers will move your shift points up and the red clutch springs will give you more stall especially when climbing in the sand.