BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Ideas for towing a kart?

Hey guys! I was looking for a trailer to accompany my kart last weekend, and I noticed that any trailer I needed (5 ft) was wider than 64in total (my fence width) neighborhood HOA won't let us keep a trailer out front, so what can I do?
Has anyone tried as car dolley? I was really wondering if I could 2 wheel tow the kart?

Thanks!
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Lurker

What type of kart do you have? I have a Maxxam 150 and a Yerf Dog spiderbox that I haul on a Harbor freight 4X8 trailer. The front tires ride on the edge but it is easy to make a ledge for it to set on. I have not made one and have no problems hauling it everywhere. This is the one I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...res-94564.html
Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Contributor

Two problems with using a tow dolly.

1st. Your wheel bearings and tires are not rated for those types of speeds. So you would probably end up with seized bearings and or blown tires

2nd. This may be a California only thing, but you can not have your buggy ever touch a public road unless it has some form of registration. So the tow dolly approach would have the back tires on the road leaving you open for a ticket.

Probably the harbor freight type trailer would be your best approach. As mentioned, you could widen it just a little bit where the wheels sit or you could even make a platform that was little wider for it.

Of course you could look at making your gate wider.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 AM

I don't believe the stock bearings in these wheels would hold up to constant highway speeds.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Power User

boat trailer mod i just created ... square cross bars welded to the triangular portion with drilled holes. put the buggy on some ramps, run the tongue end under the cart. slide a larger or smaller bar with vertical stubs on the end. run them into the crossbars, pin them, strap the buggy down and put the tongue on the hitch. see easy & clear as mud )) ...
Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

Why don't you make ur gate wider as mentioned above and keep it in ur backyard?? You can't keep it in the front but you can keep it in the backyard. Wouldn't that be easier?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Heavy Contributor

LOL. If I could widen my gate, this thread wouldn't be here.

I am looking at a Helix, however I may get a Yerf 3203.

A 5 foot wide trailer would fit, assuming the wheels are under the trailer. The issue is that the wheels extend about 4" on each side of the trailer.... So a tow dolly is OUT. Anyone know of a trailer with the wheels underneath (factory stock)? I also was reading about folding trailers, anyone have any experience? I know there are 4x8 folding trailers, but I haven't seen any 5x8 or 5x9 ones. Anyone know anything about those?

Thanks!
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFauxFox View Post
LOL. If I could widen my gate, this thread wouldn't be here.

I am looking at a Helix, however I may get a Yerf 3203.

A 5 foot wide trailer would fit, assuming the wheels are under the trailer. The issue is that the wheels extend about 4" on each side of the trailer.... So a tow dolly is OUT. Anyone know of a trailer with the wheels underneath (factory stock)? I also was reading about folding trailers, anyone have any experience? I know there are 4x8 folding trailers, but I haven't seen any 5x8 or 5x9 ones. Anyone know anything about those?

Thanks!
My trailer is one of the folding trailers. I just went out and measured it. It is 61 inches wide at the wheels. I have owned 2 of them. I made the mistake of selling the first one to a friend so I could buy a heavier trailer. The light one pulls a lot easier. I pull it with my Pontiac Vibe. I use the trailer all the time. I haul everything from my Kabota B6100 compact tractor to groceries on it. But it is 1 inch over 5 feet.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Do you have a full size truck? Most of these buggies will fit in a truck bed, well most of the buggy at least.

I feel your pain with the HOA rules, prime reason I had to store my boat at my buddies place. The only trailers I have seen with the wheels under neath were converted from campers. They tie up too much space, thats why they are normally outside.

I had thought about getting or making a lightweight trailer for just such uses that I could stash against the wall of the garage with some ratchet straps when not in use. I don't like pivot or folding trailers due to the idea of an implemented weak area designed into the frame. I have one for the boat, and I hate it, feels like its going to break when I hop in the boat to launch it.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Lite Contributor

I was able to fit my spiderbox on a 4x6 with the front end hanging off the edge. It fit perfectly in a 5x8 trailer.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc2286 View Post
My trailer is one of the folding trailers. I just went out and measured it. It is 61 inches wide at the wheels. I have owned 2 of them. I made the mistake of selling the first one to a friend so I could buy a heavier trailer. The light one pulls a lot easier. I pull it with my Pontiac Vibe. I use the trailer all the time. I haul everything from my Kabota B6100 compact tractor to groceries on it. But it is 1 inch over 5 feet.
That would PERFECTLY fit through my fence with about 3 inch to spare! Where'd you buy it?
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Do you have a full size truck? Most of these buggies will fit in a truck bed, well most of the buggy at least.

I feel your pain with the HOA rules, prime reason I had to store my boat at my buddies place. The only trailers I have seen with the wheels under neath were converted from campers. They tie up too much space, thats why they are normally outside.

I had thought about getting or making a lightweight trailer for just such uses that I could stash against the wall of the garage with some ratchet straps when not in use. I don't like pivot or folding trailers due to the idea of an implemented weak area designed into the frame. I have one for the boat, and I hate it, feels like its going to break when I hop in the boat to launch it.
LOL. We don't have a pickup. We have a sedan and a large crossover in the garage. My dad and I were joking that when his lease is up next year, we can go out and get a Sierra or a Tundra or an F150 or something...
But my mom doesn't exactly love it, and you know how arguments in the house work, there's the person that's right, then there's the husband.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM

In marriage, you can either be right, or be happy.......

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Lurker

Quote:
That would PERFECTLY fit through my fence with about 3 inch to spare! Where'd you buy it?
I bought it at Harbor Freight.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
In marriage, you can either be right, or be happy.......
True but eventually you will end up neither. This is why men usually die first.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 10-26-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add content
Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Contributor

I think that best that we can hope for is to be half right and half happy.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc2286 View Post
Harbor Freight has three or four different versions of the 4x8 folding trailer. The best one has 5-lug hubs with 12" wheels that can be upgraded to 14's later. You want the larger wheels so the hubs don't spin so fast at highway speeds and so you have more clearance under the deck. My fold-up with 10" wheels lasted over 16 years (was rear end ended when parked a couple of years after I sold it to co-worker) hauling more than it should but I repacked the the hubs annually and added grease through the fittings before any highway trip. The small wheels allowed the upright standup brackets to drag on uneven terrain and I ended up removing them until I stored the trailer. It's important to use all four bolts on the fold up deck to keep it for distorting the frame when loaded. I used 3/4" outdoor plywood treated annually with fence/deck preservative. The larger capacity model should give you good service and I think HF's largest one does not fold.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Contributor

Just rent a trailer from uhaul, very cheap 5x8+ trailers.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtroad View Post
Just rent a trailer from uhaul, very cheap 5x8+ trailers.
Not for $15 a trip. $15 one way and $15 the other way isn't gonna cut it. Not for a weekend trip. Maybe once or twice, but I need a trailer of my own.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM

I"m just curious, how old are you Fauxfox?