Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
New here stationed in Norfolk, Virginia - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 11-30-2018, 12:11 AM
Lurker

Default New here stationed in Norfolk, Virginia

Hello everyone. Im an active duty Navy guy stationed on a ship out of Naval Base Norfolk. I just bought 2 Kandi 200cc buggies and I cant wait to start upgrading them. These buggies are way bigger than the gokarts I rode when I was a kid, about 25 years ago. If anyone has any ways to upgrade these buggies please let me know. Right now the paperwork says they will do about 40 mph but those are rookie numbers im gonna need to bump them numbers up. lol. wolf of wallstreet quote. I bought both buggies for my two kids, hence why I had to buy two, so they wont fight. Im looking forward to hearing all the different upgrades I can do with these. Thanks for any information.

Jacob
(The Sailor Dude)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:51 AM
Contributor

Welcome to your new hobby and thanks for your service. They are lots of upgrades you can do, it just depends on your wallet and or time. My son also has a Kandi buggy, but it's a 110cc.
I believe the Kandi 200cc is a GY6 150 with a big bore kit already on it. So you should save some money there.
If your just trying to add top speed, you can go to a heavier roller or slider weight. But you'll lose some low end grunt. I ride mostly trails in the woods and mountains, so I like more power on the low end.
The first thing most people do is remove the factory airbox and filter. Then upjet the carburetor and add a performance air filter like uni or k&n. You can also install a 6" velocity stack and that will help too. You can look up redneck intake and go to your local home depot or Lowes to get the pieces too.
Then there's also performance exhausts, clutch springs, main springs, or a performance clutch. Some people upgrade the CDI's and coil. Beware though, some of the eBay performance CDI's & coils are junk.
Better tires can make a big difference over most stock tires.
I'm sure there's plenty more, but it's late and I'm on my phone typing this. Good luck and have fun.
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD

Last edited by EVILWS6; 11-30-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:35 AM
Lurker

Thank You EVILWS6. I don't want to do too much to the cart until the warranty is over. I don't mind going super fast but I am ok with lower end power. I was looking on BuggyDepot.com at some of their stuff. I wanted to upgrade the electrical system to their stage one kit, just in case I wanted to add more lights. They have an engine upgrade that comes with a high-flow UNI intake and UNI air filter. It also upgrade the CDI and has a high-output ignition coil. I also was looking to get their stage one and stage two transmission kits that come with 9g, 10g, and 12g rollers with 1500RPM springs and a KOSO 115mm Variator with a high-stall clutch unit. All this is about 260 bucks. Please remember im kind of new to this whole buggy stuff and I don't want to make a stupid mistake of throwing random parts on my buggy that really wont make a difference. Im not going to be ramping hills but I want it to have enough stuff to go up big hills and still maintain some high speeds. 40-50 mph is plenty fast enough for me and my kids. Thank you again for you information and I will keep you updated on what all I do to the buggy.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Contributor

Not trying to rain on your parade but 50 will never happen out of one of these unless you are ok with it being a dog on take off and taking forever to hit it. 35ish is about it on these things. My kinroad is hopped up and I can bounce it off 38 (gps) on a good long stretch but it is screaming. If you really must try it I think gearing is your only option short of putting an atv engine on it.

Ditch the factory air cleaner setup, it is restrictive. Skip anything less that 10 grams on sliders/rollers. They are too light for a buggy. I have 12 gram sliders in mine and happy. The 1500 spring is a must. Just change out the main one and leave the 3 factory clutch springs. A better exhaust will open it up. I built mine but JERSEYDEVIL on here custom makes them. I think Travis at buggy depot has also started selling a kit but not sure about the fitment on you model. I have an a12 cam but I also built my engine to make more power down low for trail riding. Since you want top end you can look at cams that make power higher in the rpms.

I'll say the biggest item that woke mine up was when I ported the head. Not for everybody because it is real easy to make it loose power if you do it wrong. Not sure of anybody that offers to do it any more.

Don't waste time on aftermarket CDIs. They are tuned for lighter scooters and I haven't seen any gains in any of the ones I've tested from expensive ones to the cheap ebay ones on a buggy. If your factory one is working then rock it till it goes out.

Good luck and thanks for your service. One of my best friends is a retired squid. If it wasn't for the navy he most likely would be in jail or in the ground now.

Last edited by neo71665; 11-30-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Lurker

im ok with not going that fast. I will probably change out motors and totally redo everything once my kids get tired of riding around on the buggys. I just want the buggy to be able to go up decent hills and be able to play in the mud. I do plan on doing something with the intake but as far as the transmission I really don't know where to start. I really just want it to have good torque and not be sluggish off the line. I will changing out the rollers and springs. I don't want to do too much motor work since it still has a warranty. I do plan to upgrade the electrical stater cuz I want to add lights and a small radio for when we are bee bopping through the woods.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 PM
Lurker

also what size injectors should I get? the website says the buggy is 177.3cc if that makes a difference.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:06 AM
Contributor

Carbs have jets and that depends on a number of things. About the best is to just order a kit (find them on ebay in 10 piece for normally around $10). You'll need to learn to read the plug and change it accordingly.

Oh and I forgot if it has the vacuum petcock on the gas tank order a spare one now if you plan on running it. They go bad every time you turn around. Most of us swap out to a manual one. You have to remember to turn it on and off but they last forever.