BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 03-20-2021, 03:04 PM
Lurker

Default GY6 hazards won't turn off (and won't stop beeping)

Hello, I have a Taotao 4fun buggy (chinese GY6) and I've just done a few things on it (replaced starter fuse (kill switch fuse?) solenoid, battery and carb), as it sat idle for a couple of years.

I've finally got it running fine, except the hazards stay on. While this wouldn't really be that much of a problem, it beeps like hell the whole time. I am phenomenally bad at electrical (any thing related to engines, cars, etc...), so any suggestions would be appreciated. Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2021, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome-Didn't even know these buggies had hazards! I would locate the switch & unplug it & see if that makes the lights and noise go away.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:16 AM
Lurker

I did pull the plug behind the hazards button on the dash (if that's what you mean) to no effect.
The annoying part is that al of the wires (from the dash) go through one tube (for tidyness), so it's hard for me to guess at the end of that tube what is what. I don't know what it would connect to on the other (electrical box) end. My GUESS is that I put the wrong wire to the solenoid so that it's always on?

i'm much better at disconnecting things (and THEN remembering to take a picture) than I am at connecting them back up.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

I take it you don't have a multi-meter? The beep has to be coming from some type of relay- can you trace down the sound? Does the lights & beep only happen while it's running?or when the key is on?
Old 03-22-2021, 08:37 AM
Lurker

I do have a multimeter. I'm not sure how I would trace down the sound, could you explain a little? the hazards (and beeps) start when the key turns on (and continues no matter what until the key turns off).
Old 03-23-2021, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

The explanation about the key says a lot. When you replaced the solenoid how many wires went on the battery side? should've only been 2. is it possible a 3rd wire got attached?
To trace the wires with the multi-meter: switch to Ohms, using both leads-one on each end,doesn't matter what color is used as you're trying to establish continuity. If your meter shows the "bell" symbol-set it to that.Put one end of the leads on the hazard switch wiring & start touching the end of suspect wires on the other end till you hear the beep! It will only beep when you've made the connection on the other end of the wire (assuming the wires are not broken-then no sound will occur) you might also see "OL" (overload) while testing. Hope this was some kind of help- If your leads are not long enough, just find a wire you can extend for the lead to reach. you can test the "bell" by touching both leads together or both on the chassis.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:12 PM
Lurker

sorry for the slow reply. There are only 2 going to the battery side of the solenoid. one wire goes to the fuse (that I replaced). the other wire (on the same side of the solenoid) goes to the battery. The other side of the solenoid has only one which I think goes to the starter.

I did notice that if I remove the one wire that goes to the fuse from the solenoid, the go kart never even attempts to turn over.

I also notice that it doesn't matter if the hazard switch is even connected. I unplugged it from the push button on the dash and the hazards still turn on and it beeps like crazy.

Definitely still willing to say that I've somehow jacked up installing the solenoid. I'm just not sure how. I'll try to look for some videos...

I very much appreciate the help.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

The wire with the fuse is needed for it to start/run(ignition power). Without actually seeing your electrical box it would be hard for me to pin point the suspect- for the hazard lights & beeping to work there has to be a relay, relays are usually a small box with plug-in/flat leads protruding, if the buggy has turn signals it will use the same type of relay. I would make sure you have a good ground (bare metal connection)to the chassis as well as the engine to rule that issue out.