BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Lurker

Default Blade 150cc No forward or reverse

Great information on this site guys, glad I found you and am now a member. I have a lot of experience working with small engines and all but never worked with karts. I have a Blade 150cc with the exterior reverse that suddenly quit going into reverse or forward. My son said he didn't hear any loud noises or anything really unusual, it just quit going.
After reading much of your input on different posts I'm starting to suspect it may be a broken belt inside the cvt. I didn't see anything particularly wrong with the cable. Do you think I'm on the right track or would you recommend checking something else first? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Heavy Contributor

Start with an inspection of the CVT drive belt by removing the cover. It is easy to remove the cover and will lead you to the component that is not being driven.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Lurker

Removed cover and belt was completely destroyed. Looks like that's the problem. New belt and we'll be back in business. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Heavy Contributor

Pull the variator and look for signs of damage on the rollers. You may need a new set if they are chewed up or have flat spots.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Lurker

Will do. Thanks. Do you know what the performance advantage is of changing the rollers to the sliding type with a new (white) clutch spring? I saw a video on how to do this mod but wasn't sure why the mod was being done. I assume it sort of like a stall to give more lower end power?? Or is it just the opposite? My son rides on a flat farm and I wouldn't mind him having more top end speed. Climbing is not an issue for him, no hills for 100 miles!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Heavy Contributor

For a 150cc engine, I suggest 12g sliders and the red torque (main) spring to get maximum acceleration without losing top end speed.

Sliders wear much better than due to the increased surface area. The shape also allows better range of the variator than rollers. Lighter weights (rollers or sliders) increase operating RPM and reduce the speed of "upshifts".

The torque spring keeps belt tension and controls "downshift" rate. The stiffer springs prevent belt slippage and shift down your transmission quicker.

Tuning your CVT does not change your transmission ratios, but it changes how the engine shifts through them. Ideally you want to keep the engine close to the top of the peak horse power curve.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Lurker

Do you know if anyone offers a kit with all the included parts for the mod? Oh, and thanks for the info, makes sense.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

Syc Powersports, Buggy Parts NW, and Mc Donough Powersports have what you are looking for.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Lurker

Got all the parts from Tom at SYC. He was very helpful and hooked me up. Thanks!