BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Lite Contributor

Unhappy Carter kpx 6 hp tecumseh cvt noise

When i let up on the gas there is a sounds like metal grinding, it has a new clutch, its all clean, and is there any way to set the idle. I just got this go cart for my son now there are problems please help, i feel bad we traded his dirt bike for his new found love :d
Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Lite Contributor

I live in minnesota if any one can help
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Tecumseh's are notorious for having bad carbs. I have tried many a times to clean those idle circuits with no success. The only thing that I have been able to do is replace it. They make a carb with a manual choke. It will run you roughly about $80 but it is worth every penny just to get rid of that crappy primer bulb.

For the grinding noise, is the little bronze/copper looking bushing in place on the front part of the clutch (variator)?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Lite Contributor

it has a manual choke not sure were the copper bushing is , did you see the pictures. i dont see a bushing, variator ? sorry a new guy here but im trying, i very thankful for your help
Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Administrator

where did you put the pictures?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

There should be a copper/brass bushing over the shaft on the clutch-under the belt that is bolted to the crankshaft of the engine- Never heard one grind though if bad. Really the only thing that could grind would be a bearing going out on the jackshaft or a pulley rubbing something. I think the reason you hear it at throttle down is because the engine noise level is decreasing- where as at throttle up the engine is louder. You really need to elevate the rearend and watch the CVT system working and listen to pin point the noise.
The pics in your album don't help!! need some of the engine/CVT

Last edited by metalstudman1; 07-28-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Lite Contributor

I ordered a bushing, and cleaned every thing up,the cvt spring is a little rusty so im soaking them.. i need to replace brake drum it dented and chewed up, its has the clamp style brake how do i remove the drum ? do i need to remove the entire axle ? i did order a new drum and brake clamp.. my sons go kart is a carter kpx model #29364415.. when i whant to down load pics from my camera it ask for the http address so hmmm not sure on that being a new guy on this site... THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

Last edited by carter dude; 07-28-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Most brake drums of that style are on the outside of the frame rail-so removal of the tire/wheel hub, then slide the drum off the axle. What spring/springs are you soaking?You stated that the clutch was new- are you talking about the big spring from the driven unit?rust on either springs shouldn't effect the performance.
Since I'm not an electronic guru!! When downloading pics from my phone- I e-mail them to myself or someone's e-mail on the same computer, then I copy them to a folder from the e-mail, then I go advanced (next to post quick reply), manage attachments, browse for folder,open pic,upload.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Lite Contributor

well see i thought the big spring on the driven was the clutch, ok whats the springs that are coiled around inside the cvt were the brass bearing was missing? well i am learing with alot of your help i am a carpenter not a mechanic but its time tooooo learn and quick , and i go an email from goprosports items have been shipped soshould be good, michael jr. is so excited THANKS AGAIN MIKE
Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Lite Contributor

Squirt some dirt peoples !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Lite Contributor

there is a black box and the bottom plate comes off looks like the drive axel is a 2 piece and there is a chain witch would be passenger side of axle that is were the brake drum is..i could text you a picture with my phone, if you wouldn't mind... MIKE
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Read this link:http://www.*****************/asymapp.htm
It will explain everything you need to know about your CVT
Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Lite Contributor

wow great info
Old 07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Lite Contributor

well i got buddy to come over a gm mechanic we had to take the axle out but were on our way just waiting on parts they should be here sat. or monday.. i will send pics of the project, i think i figured it out THANKS AGAIN GREAT WEB SITE.....