BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Lurker

Default yerf dog trany problems

hi well i finally got to take our yerf out on some trails and it was going great until I got to this real open part and i was going full speed for a while and heard this noise and the motor was still running but the kart was not . Are we screwed? did the trany go bad? Is there a clutch i can replace? the motor still runs great and it still rolls when i push it my son and i are very sad lol. oh sorry it is a 3206 with 150cc howitt motor. please help. and if you can does any one know where to get a diagram for the motor and trany

Thanks

Al
Old 08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like a broken belt- You've got to take the CVT cover off to investigate
Old 08-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Lurker

thats the cover that has the howitt name on it. if it is a belt is it easy fix? and do the sell hi proformance belts for these?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yes to all questions:Only special tool needed is an impact wrench to remove the variator to change the belt.I know the stock belts last a LONG time.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 08-05-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Heavy Contributor

It's been our experience that the "high performance" belts are simply a Kevlar belt. They are stronger and are able to withstand considerably more heat, but they prematurely wear down the pulley surfaces. They wear grooves in the pulley surfaces at the points where the belt rides the most. It is also of common thinking that if there is a malfunction in the CVT system it is best to have the belt break before any more serious damage is done. so alot of folks stay away from these Kevlar belts for these reasons plus save a few bucks
I have used the the Gates 743-20-30 belts for years without any failure unless I intentionally abuse it. Change the belt out with periodical maintenance and it does fine. Keeping a spare around for emergencies is always a good idea
You will probably need to bust that variator nut loose with a air gun the first time. Don't place anything in the cooling fins to hold the variator from spinning while breaking that nut loose! The fins will snap off! Use some sort of strap type holder to secure the pulley. You don't need to reinstall with the gun. Tighten the nut back firmly with a good end-wrench so you can bust it loose by hand the next time. 50-60 ft-lbs of torque is all that is needed to hold that nut in place.