BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Lurker

Default helix 150 no spark

I'm so pissed right now. I just came in from pulling the Helix back to the shop. I rec'd the cdi in the mail today and put it on. the motor fired right up and I sent the neighbor kid home with it. about ten minutes later the door bell rings. She said it died again. It went about 300 yards out my door and died. I took another plug with me and when I got to it I plugged it in and grounded it to the valve cover.... sure enough ... no spark. @#$%^$@$ What the crap!!...lol.
I tested this thing over and over double checking myself before I bought the cdi. I was getting signal from the stator, trigger and had 12v from the ign. switch. good grounds. Did this thing just crap another CDI?. I'll do all the checks again in the morning. I'm calling out guys.. tell me what's up with this thing.
I'm a Mechanic by trade but this ain't no Freightliner. So I feel competent with a test light and volt meter. I just need the numbers and general direction
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Lurker

Guess all my ranting paid off. The next morning before church I went out and checked the connection at the CDI and it started!!....While it was running I did a wiggle test and sure enough it died. I pulled the terminals out of the connector using a paper clip and adjusted them so they'd fit a little tighter. Re installed and put silicon in the back of the connector so's to keep the wires from movin around. RUNS LIKE A CHAMP!!!

Laters!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Lurker

By the way after the connector fix, I plugged the old CDI in just to see if it would fire. It was bad. I wonder if the poor connection caused it to go out.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

Yes the poor connection especially if a ground will arc and cause heat which will burn a cdi out.

TOM
Old 10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Lurker

Thanks Tom