BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Lurker

Question Sunl buggy cranking issue

I have combed the web for a way to solve the issues I have been running across with no luck. I wanted to make sure I looked through the forums before posting new thread but here is what is going on.[LIST][*]Sunl 150 gy6[*]New CDI[*]New starter solenoid [*]New ignition switch (Not like original had to wire in the three wires)*could be wired up wrong but I cant make heads or tails of the wiring diagram to ensure proper placement of where they go but it does try cranking so I assume its right.[*]New carb[*] no kill switch[*] new spark plug[*] wiring is a little chopped up but looks like everything is right just cuts and splices.[*] when I turn on key no lights,no horn, nothing engine just turns over if turned to crank[list]
This buggy was purchased used as-is as a project so I was intending on a little of a headache when I trailered it home. So first thing I did was start going through the forums for common issues and purchased all the parts above before even attempting repair but I have hit a roadblock. Like I said I have read alot of these so I am gonna try and list some of the common things I see asked first.
Yes it has spark on motor and frame not make your face glow blue amount of spark but enough to shock me with my hand in the wrong spot. I have good gas flow as the plug is wet after attempting to crank. I sprayed starting fluid down vacuum hose to intake nothing. I sprayed it in the carbnothing but the occasional teasing sputter. I replaced petcock that was missing with a normal gravity fed turn style no gas or rust was in tank when I bought it so the gas is new and no contaminants would have ruined it. I see a the fuel filter that come with new carb is full no bubbles. Now the brake switch is wired a little weird it has a splice from it to a red but looks like they had the right idea. I am lost!!! I am not comfortable taking off head and adjusting timing or valve clearance I would have to have that done if you guys think it could be it but I would hope that would be last resort. There is a vacuum looking assembly not hooked up to anything behind driver seat. hope I answered most but if you need more that I missed let me know
Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 PM

First question, you say it has spark. What color is the spark? Orange is not good, a thick blue arc is what you want. Under heat and compression, the orange spark is not hot enough to ignite the fuel mix. Make sure to check all the connections on the coil and CDI, I have heard of some spade terminals being loose enough to break connection.

The next thing I would check is the compression. Compression gauges are relatively inexpensive at harbor freight. Honestly, I would check the valve adjustment first. Pulling the valve cover off is pretty easy, and all you need is a decent set of feeler gauges, available at sears, harbor freight, etc. If the valves are too tight, it means the valves are being held open when they are not supposed to be and allowing the fuel and air to escape before it can be ignited.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 09-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Lurker

I guess that's what I'll have to do. I kept seeing it being mentioned but like I said I was hoping that wasn't the problem. I'll grab some feeler gauges there's a harbor freight by work when I crack the top off is it obvious which is which and I've read multiple different tolerances. What would be accurate? The spark is blue. Let me ask you something when u throwthe ssolenoid with a screwdriver to crank it instead of key does ythat override brake s
switch or will it never crank without brake pedal being depressed? Compression gauge should read what if right?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 PM

If it is spinning over and has spark, then all the safety switches are working ok, or have been bypassed. I think the spec for the 150cc is .002 for the intake, and .004 for the exhaust, the intake valve will be closest to the top.
Good compression on a four stroke should be no less than 125psi to run, good would be closer to 160. Check the valves first, if they are out, it will give you incorrect compression readings.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Heavy Contributor

I agree with master a lot of starting problems are valve adjustment related. If not sure how to adjust ur valves go to you tube. Type in ( how to adjust valves on a gy6).
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Lurker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYHY...e_gdata_player
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Lurker

This is a video I posted of the buggy