BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Lite Contributor

Lightbulb advantages of performance clutch

Is there any advantage of running a performance clutch over a stock clutch on a basicly stock gy6 engine?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Lite Contributor

I'm a newbie to buggys so any and all info, personal preferences, and best brands are very appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Depends what you are looking for. The CVT drive system on these has several components. I lot of guys will change out the variator weights as well as the clutch springs to achieve a different performance level. But...it's a game of get some give some. So if you modify to improve your bottom end for hill climbing or something, you are likely going to lose some of the top end and have less top speed. Is there a particular goal you are trying to accomplish?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Lite Contributor

I want the best all around performance. Before my clutch went out the bottom end seemed weak but top end was around 36 mph according to my garmin. I wouldn't mind losing a few mph for some decent low end gain. Also I got another question to add. I'm trying to run a cold air intake and I opened up my exhaust. I rejetted to a 125 main jet. But still when I give it throttle it bogs and dies. But idles great. But when I put my stock air box back on seems to do better. But I have to back the adjustment screw out around 4 turns.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Contributor

A after market clutch wont help you a bit. After market clutches are "meant" to hook up better. But the fact is if you have your machine tuned right, stock clutch does just fine. I'd buy a a12 cam and some 12g sliders and yellow main. Leave the stock clutch springs in it as they dont give bottom end at all. What they do is give more rpm before the clutch arms move. I believe that just ass stress to the pads my self. Once you run it you'll know where it's at. If it still aint got enough low end, then get you a bigger bottom sprocket. If you want to try to get the best of both worlds add a ported head to the mix. Do the head before sprocket thoyugh
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Lite Contributor

My stock clutch is shot. So are you recommending I buy another stock clutch or since I gotta replace it go with a better quality clutch and variator.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellinredneck View Post
My stock clutch is shot. So are you recommending I buy another stock clutch or since I gotta replace it go with a better quality clutch and variator.
yea, that's what he's saying.
. If you got one single purpose in mind like hill climbs or drag racing then one of the aftermarkets might suit you better. For general riding and pleasure the stock clutch works as well as any out there.
nothing wrong with a stock variator . just use a 115mm size. you can get the stocker to work great if you polish the roller ramps and belt faces to a ultra slick mirror finish. The polished ramps reduce resistance so the rollers react better/faster wiith less wear. the polished belt surface grips the belt better, gives a smoother and faster transition and also with less belt wear by reducing scrub.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Lite Contributor

What if I can get a koso clutch with carbon fiber pads, a koso variator with 10 gram rollers, and a higher quality bi metal bell for cheaper than a stock setup. All is slightly used from Tom @ Syc Powersports.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Contributor

Well then do that. Most after markets are great. But so are stock. So it basicly comes down to the price. Dollar for dollar I'd buy it for sure