BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Contributor

Default Carb has Rivets instead of Screws!!! HELP

Guys,

Finally had a chance to put the intake on, so I went to pull the carb from my ASW Carbide 150cc buggy to change out the jet. Low and behold the screws that would normally hold on the lower bowl on are RIVETS!!! So are the screws holding the cap to the diaphragm and needle. Looking at the service manual, it clearly shows screws instead of rivet heads.

Am I missing something, or is this carb not meant to be open?

Is it possible to change the main jet? I'm guessing the rivets need to be drilled out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deni Carb 1.jpg (50.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Deni Carb 2.jpg (48.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Deni Carb 3.jpg (63.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Deni Carb 4.jpg (62.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Deni Carb 5.jpg (67.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Deni Carb 6.jpg (58.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Danp; 07-28-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Contributor

Wow, after searching the net I can't find a single picture or reference about rivets instead of standard screws holding this carb together. I'm stumped.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

You can try drilling a small hole in the screw and use an extract to un screw it.and if for any reason u damage it carbs are inexpensive. Make sure the next one has screws instead of rivets.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

Or try using a small hacksaw blade to cut a line on the head of rivet. Than unscrew it with a flat head. (Thats really a screw not a rivet)...
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 PM

They do kinda resemble break-off bolts, I would try what eddie said, and see of they can be unscrewed, before drilling them out. I have to say, I have not seen them in carbs before, but I can kind of understand why they would do that.

BTW, nice lift you got there, one day I will own one myself, one day. Maybe..

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Contributor

Usint the dremel or saw to make a notch in the head will be your best bet. I drilled mine out and retapped the holes to a 10/32 on my Trailmaster. You are better off just notching yours.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Contributor

Thanks guys. That was my plan, but I wanted to make sure there was some confirmation that they were snap offs and not rivets. I'll try notching one and see what happens. I'm thinking this might be a good excuse to get the 30mm carb upgrade though. ;-)
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Contributor

CONFIRMED. They are breakaway screws. I used a hack saw to cut a slot in the top and then used a flat head to unscrew it.

Why, oh why, would they make something like this.... ridiculous.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Contributor

Shouldnt waste your time and money on installing a 30mm pumper carb. Unless you are completely upgrading the entire engine. BBK, head, stroker.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Contributor

Thanks for the info. On another topic, I have a manual choke, can install the auto one easily, or does it require more modifications?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Makes me wonder if your carb was already replaced once. I've seen the break-off screws a couple of times now but only on very newer pieces. And yes...they are a PITA!!!! The EPA is cracking down on china imports and I am sure it was an agreement to allow them to keep importing. Some come right out..others you have to clever on.

For the choke...the auto choke is very easy. Drops right in. Most people like the manual choke though.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
Makes me wonder if your carb was already replaced once. I've seen the break-off screws a couple of times now but only on very newer pieces. And yes...they are a PITA!!!! The EPA is cracking down on china imports and I am sure it was an agreement to allow them to keep importing. Some come right out..others you have to clever on.

For the choke...the auto choke is very easy. Drops right in. Most people like the manual choke though.
Bought the buggy new, just this year, so must be how they come now. Oh well. Got them all off, now off to the hardware store to match them up with some proper screws because I know I'll be in there quite a bit. ;-)