BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Oil Breather

OK I have a Kinroad Sahara 150cc buggy, IM having issues with oil coming out my oil breather, and it comes out enough to make a mess. Could this be blowby? My engine doesnt smoke that much, it smokes very little just enough to see it. Ive been thinking about rebuilding the top end. New piston , rings, cylinder, new head with valves. was just wanting to know if there is anybody out there that has had the problem with oil coming out there oil breather...please i need some good answers here......

Last edited by kobraman; 02-18-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Default Do it

If you're smoking then you're getting some blowby. Rebuilding the topend of the gy6 is a piece of cake and there are alotta video's to show you how to do it! Just make sure that everything is adjusted right and not causing the problem before you decide! check your plug to see how its burning, it should be a light tan, make sure your carb is adjusted right, and your valves are at the right tolerances, .004 is the norm. If you do go with a rebuild make sure you give Tom at sycpowersports a call, he is the guru of topends and he can get you what you need parts wise at a discount! Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM

Before you look into a rebuild, make sure the oil level is correct, if it has been overfilled even slightly, it can make its way to the breather tube. It may even cause the engine to smoke some when it sucks the oil into the intake. Please check and even replace the oil before you tear into the top end. If it has been overfilled and sucked into the intake, clean or replace the plug, and maybe pull the carb and shoot a little brake cleaner or carb cleaner in the intake hose to clean the oil film out, the head will get hot enough to move the oil into the chamber, but not the plastic intake.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the replys... Yeah did the oil check think right after i bought the buggy and it was right on ...Heres something i heard though, I was told these buggy engines are kinda low on the Head the way they sit in the buggy and oil is allways a problem? If this is so, that sucks! What im wanting to know why so much could be getting to my oil breather and i have it wire straight up. If you think it is blow by thats what im wanting to know. and do you think if the rings and cylinder are bad, well after rebuilding do you think my oil problem should go away. If not and you guys have any other ideas please let me know. Im getting ready to go forward with the rebuild..Would A carb or valves out of ajustment cause a oil breather problem? Thanks Guys Ill wait to hear back from you.....

Last edited by kobraman; 02-18-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM

I don't see a valve or carb causing the issue. One thing you might try is a taller shock in the rear to push the swingarm down, if the issue goes away, then you know its a design issue. Another thing to consider is the chain length, meaning if the PO has adjusted the tension to compensate for a stretched chain or sprocket change, then that could also raise the crankcase end of the engine above the head, resulting in the issue you describe. I would go with the longer shock in the back and see if the issue clears up.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Do you really think that Kinroad would build a buggy with such a flaw? I wouldnt want to think they would...and if they did, im sure they would have had a mass on complaints about it and lots of bad P.R. Not to speak of having to deal with fixing all of the buggys! I cant be the only one this is happening to. Im sure other makers of these smaller buggys have had this issue too. I just want to know what someone has done to really fix this..And once we find out post it so others will know what to do if this happens to them....Thanks for your post..

Last edited by kobraman; 02-18-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

With the internal baffeling and the casting design of the sump area , you would have to stand that motor almost on end to get any sort of oil fouling. The fact that it smokes, even a little, and the excess oil in the vent indicates worn rings.
A compression check will tell all. Run a check then squirt a little oil in the cylinder through the spark plug hole. If a second check gets a higher rate, it's rings. The oil in the cylinder will briefly seal the rings and raise compression.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM

As far as quality goes, you only need look at yerf dog to understand where manufacturers cut corners for whatever reason, and yerf was made here in the USA. I would also like to see what the compression test reveals, low compression would explain the excess oil in the breather, due to excess pressure in the crankcase.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Lite Contributor

hey good idea thanks ill check the compression... so you think if the comptrssion is bad. a top end rebuild this might fix my oil issue? i sure hope so
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM

Yes, if the pressure is low, and then jumps after you add the oil, then the rings are fried. The pressure 'blowing by' the rings is causing increased pressure in the crankcase, which should have little to none normally. A top end with piston, rings, head gaskets and such would cure your issue. Be sure to inspect the cylinder walls or have a reputable machine shop measure it, most times an hone and clean will suffice.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Lite Contributor

oh one other thing...when i bought this buggy the belt is shot...cant read any numbers. i have a 10 bolt cover over the cluch and variator... i beleave this is the long version. any ideas for belts? i was told the 8 bolt cover is the short one. and that would be the 743-20-30...so would i need the 842-20-30? thanks guys for all your answers and help..
Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 AM

Default The fix

Both of my 150's where smoking til I replaced the rings in 'em, now not a puff of smoke at all and some sweet compression! as for your belt check for an engine id number, then give Tom @ syc a call to order your new belt and get your members discount!