BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 02-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Lurker

Default Helix losing power at higher rpm bogs down

Hey, I will explain the best I can. While the helix is in N it revs just fine. Once in drive it will bog down and loose power. On the low side it's fine pulls hard great starts just after you get to about 20 mph let off gas RPM's drop power comes back.

Buggy is sportworks Helix GY6 150cc
Mods: Uni, new carb w/130 jet, cdi box, coil, plug, yellow spring, performance clutch.

Here is the video https://youtu.be/hAtZaQXBoGI

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by gooftroop; 02-21-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Sounds like something under the cvt cover. It's kinda hard to be exact but it seems when you hit the gas in drive it seemed to have a load on the engine when there should be none since the wheels off the ground. We still need more info like when did this start, had it set for a long time, how old is the fuel.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM
Lurker

When hit the gas the motor was cold. The problem started after the dr. Pulley, clutch and spring were installed. The fuel is fresh always has stabil. Pulled the carb the day before made sure was clean and good to go.

Pulled the cover on cvt and it does not have any damage or rubbing. Here are two videos with the cover off and as you can see it does not bog at all.. WTH

https://youtu.be/MBOTqYpcgqo

https://youtu.be/4XvxnQ2s5kE

Thanks
Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

I see the belt moving but maybe it's my view of video but it does not seem the belt is moving all the way to the top of the variator pulley and all the way down the clutch pulley. Confirm that the belt does travel all the way up and down pulley's.What weight rollers do you have? If you are using ethanol blended fuel the and with the correct stabil for ethanol blended fuel it will only temporarily stabilize the fuel. I don't care what the stabil people claim. Ethanol blended fuel in a can or in the fuel tank is only good for about 2 weeks. The stabil will only extend the fuel another week. The only fuel to use without problems is ethanol free gas which will keep about 3 months in a can and if stabil is used about 6 months but again that is with ethanol free fuel.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 AM
Lurker

The belt is traveling all the way up and down. It has 11 gram Dr. Pulley.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Pull the plug, what color is it, also check that you have a nice blue spark.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:48 AM
Lurker

I will have to do that Friday or Saturday we got a lot of rain and don't have a garage to work in.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:13 PM

I bet that 130 main jet is to big for texas air. you say new carb ? stock carb ? and what size pilot jet?

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Lurker

Yes, stock carb. I'm not sure the size of pilot jet, it's the one that came with carb.

Okay so I got the bright idea to run at night so I could video the color of spark.. While it was running with the plug in I put my hand by plug cap and shocked the crap out of me. I guess the plug boot is bad (cheap orange coil). The next morning I put the original coil and cdi back on and it runs like a beast.. If that cdi is bad it would be the second one that we have that is bad. Going to get a couple of new plugs this week to do the plug testing. The brand new iridium plug is black. I'm hoping that's from the bad cdi and coil not giving enoug spark. If not I will order more jets to to get the carb on the money. And Tom yes I will drain the tank and use fresh gas for the testing.

The ignition switch is going bad sometimes you have to hold the back in so it will turn over. Has anyone changed theirs to a toggle switch on with push button start?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

Next time you check for spark, pull the plug, attach the coil wire to plug than ground plug to valve cover and spin over engine while observing spark. Engine does not have to be running. The way you checked it will be hard to see the spark and it does not tell you if the plug is good. Yes as my key switched go bad I replace with a toggle and momentary toggle. If you go this route you will be wasting time and money buying the cheap switches from the auto parts store. The parts store switch is not waterproof and if you get the waterproof switch they will be made of either plastic or pot metal. Either Jegs or Summit has the good water tight switches and are high quality about 15.00 each , 3 times more than the cheap switches but once changed out your done
Old 02-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Lurker

Lol, we just fired it up in the dark to make sure it wasn't bleeding thru plug boot before videoing the spark and turns out it was. That's what led me to putting the original parts back on one by one.

Thanks for the ignition tips going to check it out now.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:37 PM
Lite Contributor

Having same issue gooftroop. What was final troubleshoot and outcome? Mine started fine. Then turned off and then again and nothing. Did u change the main jet?