BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 10-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Oil Gushing out of dip stick hole

I just bought a Hammerhead 150cc SS.it has a oiler cooler on it.here is my question....I started the motor and let it idle for 5 to 8 minutes.i killed the engine and went to check the oil.when I unscrewed the dip stick oil gushed out and went everwhere.then I started the engine again and let it idle and unscrew the dip stick and the oil just gushed out again..so what is the matter.will it hurt to run the engine like this???
Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Contributor

The first thing that I would check is the crankcase breather system. There is supposed to be a hose that comes off of the valve cover to equalize the engine pressure. As the piston is going up and down, it creates both pressure and a vacuum in the crankcase. The hose from the valve cover is there to allow the engine pulses to escape and not pressurize the crankcase. However, if this hose gets blocked off, your crankcase can become pressurized and force oil out as you describe. So check this hose for blockage, kinks, etc.

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Lite Contributor

I see the hose it is connected to the valve cover but the other end is not attacted to anything.where do it plug to
Old 10-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Contributor

It doesn't plug into anything. Pull it of and make sure that it is clear. Sometime an insect like a leaf roller will lay eggs in the end of hoses. With the engine running, you should feel air puffs coming out of this tube.

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Power User

ditto above. is the oil cooler/lines sitting above the disptick hole? if so, if it's overfilled, it may be running out of the cooler and overflowing some out the hole if it can't drain bottomside fast enoguh.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Lite Contributor

the oil cooler is mounted below the frame/motor..the hose that is attached to the valve head is pulsing as it runs..so what now ...quess I bought a F**ck up buggy
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Contributor

Okay,

Take a breath, Now that you have verified that the breather is not plugged, it is time to check your oil level. There is a very good chance that you just have too much oil in the buggy. It only take a little over 3/4 of a quart. So warm up the engine, then drain the oil. Then fill it with the recommended amount. The HH manual says 30 cc, so it is a hair under a quart. Fill the engine, then see if you have the same problem.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoys2 View Post
Okay,

Take a breath, Now that you have verified that the breather is not plugged, it is time to check your oil level. There is a very good chance that you just have too much oil in the buggy. It only take a little over 3/4 of a quart. So warm up the engine, then drain the oil. Then fill it with the recommended amount. The HH manual says 30 cc, so it is a hair under a quart. Fill the engine, then see if you have the same problem.
I agree, that's your first move. Only times I've seen this problem is when,
A- overfilling the oil,
B- float needle sticks in carb. fills crankcase with gas. if your oil smells like gas and is diluted your problem may be there.
I've seen this overfill problem when trailering a buggy. Without a manual fuel shut off, the bouncing jiggles the float causing fuel to fill the cylinder. you can drain a fuel tank this way.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Supporting Vendor

Do not run the engine until you find the problem. Check the vacuum operated fuel pump at bottom of fuel tank. If the diaphragm is ruptured it will allow fuel to drain into the crank case through the vacuum line into the intake manual. Smell the oil and if it smells of fuel drain the engine immediately repair the problem then refill the engine with clean oil. My son's buggy had done this and it destroyed the cylinder, cam and heads valve guided in very short time. I replaced the pump with just a petcock to keep it from happening again.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Lite Contributor

well I know the part u are talking about( fuel pump).well I looked on the bottom of the tank where the gas discharge is and looks like someone took the fuel on/off valve off and replaced it with a straight 1/4'' hose barb fitting.do u think this could be the problem? I hope that is all it is..Thanks for your help
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM

most of these buggies do not have a on/off valve
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Contributor

It all depends on whether your needle and seat were leaking. Having just a barbed connection in itself will not cause the fuel to drain into the crankcase. However, if the needle and seat are bad, you can get a steady trickle of gas into the crankcase. So first thing is to drain the oil and check it for gas smell or if it is as thin as water, If no to both, refill oil with the proper amount and see how it works.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

Two questions are needed to help solve this problem and I haven't seen them answered. What is your oil level. To check, park buggy on level ground, remove dip stick and wipe. Insert dip stick in engine but don't screw it in and remove to read oil level. Oil level should be half way on hashed marks. Second when you pull the stick with oil on it smell for gas. Since your vent hose is not plugged and you no longer have the vacuum operated fuel pump we will need those 2 questions answered.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Lite Contributor

yes a gas smell bot not bad.oil is a little thin when cold..dip stick inserted unscrewed and level is below hash make due to gushing out.i have not changed the oil
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

There should be no gas smell in the oil which indicates fuel is entering the oil. Pull the carb, remove the float bowl, invert carb so as float is facing up. Connect a fuel line to the fuel inlet and blow into line. If you can not blow into line the needle and seat is fine but if you can blow the least bit the needle and seat are leaking. If leaking pull float as well as needle and inspect tip as well as seat for any trash that can cause it to leak. Also with carb inverted make sure the float seal is parallel with the base of carb.
How did the buggy run when driven, was there any smoke out exhaust and if so what color.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Lite Contributor

did not notice any smoke but had no power and would die and or spit and spuder
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Supporting Vendor

From when first starting engine, did it seem to get worse as the engine warmed up?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Lite Contributor

yes at cold idle it runs good but as I drive it gets worse
Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

On the left side of carb (drivers side) is the fuel enrichment valve. Follow the 2 wires to the plug end. With a volt meter connect the neg. lead to the green. wire and positive lead to the yellow wire. Do not unplug just push the leads into the end of the plug making sure contact is made with metal wire end. Start the engine and check that you are reading voltage. If no voltage is present then you will need to trace both wires to find the problem. If voltage is present then remove the enrichment valve by removing the 1 or 2 small clamp screws securing the valve. with valve removed unplug from harness then using jumper wires connect the green to negative and yellow to positive directly to a battery. In 2 - 3 minutes the needle should completely extend. Looking in the bottom end you will notice a spring which will compress as the needle extends. That spring will be totally compressed when needle is fully extended. If not totally compressed or needle does not extend your enrichment valve will need replacement. One other thing to check and I would do first due to its simplicity is remove the fuel cap and inspect the underside to look for any deformation of the plastic which will look as if melted at the same time shaking to hear if check ball is rattling. If deformed or ball does not rattle the cap is bad not letting the tank vent and will need replacement. Let us know the results.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Lite Contributor

Are u talking about the electric chock to be the enrichment valve? the gas cap ball does rattle.will do the voltage test this weekend..Thanks for the info will get back to ya
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Supporting Vendor

Yes, technically it is not a choke since it does not choke the air flow to richen the cold start mixture instead there is what is called the enrichment jet which will allow more fuel to flow during cold starts. Either way weather a choke or enrichment valve the end result is the same just a different method is used to get there. Sorry for the confusion just a habit of mine. Good question though
Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM

well what was it? lol
Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Lite Contributor

still F**Ked up
Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Lite Contributor

sounds more like the piston/rings is/are fuxxed and the combustion is getting down into the crankcase

compression test is needed here

if it was the float there would be a very strong gas smell in the oil
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwinger View Post
still F**Ked up
Did you check the enrichment valve?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Lite Contributor

I blocked it off and don't need it...it was running good with out it
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Lite Contributor

compression test?

whenever ive cracked a ringland or popped a piston oil/oil vapor shoots out of any open hole on the motor

but the engine usually smokes when this happens

i just reread your initial post and i noticed it gushed oil when the motor was off

im not even sure how that is possible unless there is a pressure buildup AND too much oil at the same time

this ones kind of a head scratcher.............
Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Lite Contributor

I can run it for about 15 minutes then turn of the engine and then unscrew the dipstick and oil pours out
Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyrz View Post
compression test?

whenever ive cracked a ringland or popped a piston oil/oil vapor shoots out of any open hole on the motor

but the engine usually smokes when this happens

i just reread your initial post and i noticed it gushed oil when the motor was off

im not even sure how that is possible unless there is a pressure buildup AND too much oil at the same time

this ones kind of a head scratcher.............
Your correct , usually when you have blow by you will have excessive pressure in the crank but it will vent through the breather hose at the cover. If really bad it will smoke usually when you get on it. The most common causes for his problem is either plugged vent, too much oil or fuel entering the oil to where the crank is so overfilled it will gush out of the dip stick when removed. This is why it is important to have all the questions asked answered. Since we do not have the buggy right in front of us we need the engines vital signs. If we don't have the vital signs then it becomes an uneducated guess. relating back some posts I noticed the answer to does oil smell of gas and the answer was yea but not too bad. The oil should not have any smell of fuel to it. If so fuel is leaking into the oil and diluting it as well as overfilling the crank which will definitely raise the crank pressures. So that needs to be corrected as well as a compression test run on the engine.