BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Lurker

Default New Carbide 150 owner with piston out allready

Recently Purchased a 2009 Fox Carbide 150cc with a crank/no start and 390 on the odo a few days ago. Brought it home and did a diag. Had spark and fuel so i would imagine it was a compression problem. Lots of puffing coming out of the valve cover vent hose when cranking. Tore apart engine and found piston cracked in multiple places.

Ordered a 155cc BBK. A11 cam. Intake. Jets. Im going to gut the stock can.

Some advice im looking for is what number jets would you rec. with these mods along with A/F screw setting to begin with. I ordered a 40 pilot and 138 /140 main jets. What is the stock rev limit? When should i look into getting a CDI? And as for timing it seems T mark on F wheel is lined up with case mark when at TDC and when i put the cam in i think big hole is suppoed to be a 12 o clock and smaller holes parallel with head surface.

Let me know what you think. thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Contributor

As for your jetting, it all depends on your elevation
Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Lurker

Looking at peoples setups from reading their signatures im getting a good idea of what jet i should start with. Im in northern va so i believe im just about at sea level maybe 100 feet above.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Contributor

I would match it closer to someone else who has a carbide 150 with similar mods. I notice Most people with the Trailmaster buggies are running bigger jets than those with other types. I am running a 140 main like Masterbates, but i could probably throw a 142 in and possibly squeeze a little more out of it. I would bet you are fine with the stock pilot jet if you adjust the fuel mixture screw on the carb. Also i doubt you need a main jet much bigger than 130, if that. thats just my assumption by looking at others setups.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Lurker

Well i ordered a 40 pilot and a 138 main. Sounds like ill be running on the richer side of things which is def where i want to start. Safe side. Ill go down in size if i cant adjust for it.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Contributor

Hey mb' when p&p my head, I compared it to a 2010 hammerhead engine head I had, the trail master squish plate appears to be more of a high compression head, maybe that's why we are able to jet up so much
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Contributor

Sounds like a plan. its all trial and error anyway. I was told a 130 should be sufficient on my first build, ended up needing a 136 to make the engine happy.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Lurker

MB your setup sounds nice. Got parts in today. Installed the piston and slid the new jug over, cleaned and installed stock head, put in the A11 cam. Timing was simple to setup. Then the fun ended when i realized i forgot to order a chain tensioner gasket. Looks like ill be running sometime next week. Friggin rebuilding the rear differential in my F350 at the same time. That project is not as fun.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Buy a sheet of gasket material from local parts store & make ur own!?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeon40s View Post
MB your setup sounds nice. Got parts in today. Installed the piston and slid the new jug over, cleaned and installed stock head, put in the A11 cam. Timing was simple to setup. Then the fun ended when i realized i forgot to order a chain tensioner gasket. Looks like ill be running sometime next week. Friggin rebuilding the rear differential in my F350 at the same time. That project is not as fun.
I love my setup. Although i wish i could squeeze some more power out of it. Its great on the trails, but it leaves me wanting more on the open pavement. I may try something new here in the next couple of months. It wont be anything major though. Do like Bear said and get you some gasket material at the local autozone. Chain tensioner gasket really necessary? Still have the old one?

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Lurker

Since its on the top side and its aluminum surfaces i would imagine you could get away fine with no gasket or even a light film of sealant but i also shot myself in the foot when i moved half of my household down to NC where im in the process of moving to, left my torque wrenches down there in my box. Heading down there monday to have the contractors install a larger septic and ill grab a bunch of tools to bring back. Need to torque spec the head nuts and need my feeler gauages for the valves. Want to do it right. Gasket should be in my mailbox when i get home.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Contributor

No fun! just go borrow or get u some new tools.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 PM

Hey powerstroke, how did your set up work for you?
Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Lurker

Started up first key turn when finished and sounds amazing. Little rich on the jets though. But better rich than lean. Week ago my home and garage was broken in to and the buggy is not starting now. Not sure if the wires are a little backwards from them trying to hotwire it. Going to get on the diag probably later today or tom. Gotta get this thing running. Put the house up for sale that got broken in to and moved into my beach house full time. Talk about a fun place to ride.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:53 AM

I am waiting for my cylinder head cam tensioner to start mine. I just ordered the same Bbk kut too .Just out of curiosity what size jet are you at?
Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear about your home and property. I lived most of my life in fort lauderdale and west palm beach. Beach life is great. Enjoy it, and the beach riding.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Administrator

It is almost never needed to modify that pilot jet. Only under specific conditions. Take that 40 out and put the stock one back in. For your main, based on what you have listed I would start with a 145ish and see how you do then.

A lot of the ASW products run way too lean from the factory. I've seen this a few times and that is likely why you see the spanked piston. I bet the plug tip was white.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Soon as I put mine back together ( just waiting on the a-12 cam) I will start with the highest main jet I have on hand which is 134. I am at around 700' above sea level. I hope that won't be too lean for the first time this piston and cylinder will be moving/running. So I guess I will start there.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Contributor

If you really want tire spinning grunt regear!

I installed a 39 tooth sprocket on one of my carbides and words cannot explain the intense difference it made. It spins tires up steep inclines.

Im running a 130 main jet with my mods at 800ft above sea level. It still runs a bit lean though, i need to go up a few sizes to make it just right.

2009 ASW Carbide 39T sprocket, DR Pulley 10g sliders, drilled exhaust

2010 ASW Vector bone stock
Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM

I thank you DirtRoad for the input. I could always use more torque and don't want to really sacrifice too much top end. I am hoping between BBK and A-12 cam I will get just that and be done modding this buggy. Then the family and I can enjoy it again, then I will get another. probably carbide since ASW parts are easy come across.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Contributor

I was worried about losing too much top end before i regeared but decided for the cost and ease of install i would just give it a try. Worse case i could just go back to stock.

Before the regear i could only get it to 42mph. After regearing i can only get to 39mph. Only 3mph difference.

It turned it into a torque monster.

2009 ASW Carbide 39T sprocket, DR Pulley 10g sliders, drilled exhaust

2010 ASW Vector bone stock
Old 11-11-2013, 03:02 PM

When mine was stock it did well at the trails by my house. Getting this extra low end is gonna be exactly what I need.